- Mr John Kelly
Show/hide contentOpenClose All
Curricular information is subject to change
• Understand the key principles driving corporations, of all sizes, seeking growth though mergers & acquisitions.
• Understand, the strategic imperatives behind M&A activity.
• Compare the differences between a "trade buyer" and a PE buyer.
• Articulate the rationale of mergers and acquisitions, and explore the specific valuation and strategic fit challenges faced by the entities in a transaction.
The topics we will cover:
• Finding Candidates
• Preliminary Negotiations
• Integration Planning
• The Target
• Valuation (we will expand on the book material)
• Sale & Purchase Agreements
|Student Effort Type||Hours|
|Specified Learning Activities||
|Autonomous Student Learning||
You are expected to be familiar with Finance as a discipline. An understanding of management accounting would be useful (for estimating cash flows). Students undertaking one of the Finance MSc degrees will meet this recommendation.
|Description||Timing||Component Scale||% of Final Grade|
|Essay: Your final assignment is a 1,500 word (±10%) essay on a mergers & acquisition topic you have agreed with the lecturer. The paper should contain at least 3 references and a recommendation.||Coursework (End of Trimester)||n/a||Graded||Yes||
|Group Project: The group project is a presentation on a topic assigned to you by the lecturer.||Varies over the Trimester||n/a||Graded||No||
|Multiple Choice Questionnaire: Objective tests run as a Brightspace Quiz. This assessment is designed to test your recognition of the module comntent. The timing of the test will be advised in the module.||Unspecified||n/a||Graded||No||
|Remediation Type||Remediation Timing|
|In-Module Resit||Prior to relevant Programme Exam Board|
• Feedback individually to students, post-assessment
• Group/class feedback, post-assessment
Feedback will be given on a group basis for group assignments. For individual assignments, individual feedback will be given. In line with academic regulations, no feedback will be given for the final assignment of the module. Grade feedback will not be given.
|Lecture||Offering 51||Week(s) - 39||Fri 10:00 - 11:30|
|Lecture||Offering 51||Week(s) - 42||Fri 10:00 - 11:50|
|Lecture||Offering 51||Week(s) - 42||Mon 10:00 - 12:50|
|Lecture||Offering 51||Week(s) - 39||Thurs 10:00 - 12:50|
|Lecture||Offering 51||Week(s) - 42||Thurs 10:00 - 13:50|
|Lecture||Offering 51||Week(s) - 39||Tues 10:00 - 12:50|
|Lecture||Offering 51||Week(s) - 42||Tues 10:00 - 12:50|
|Lecture||Offering 51||Week(s) - 39||Wed 10:00 - 12:50|
|Lecture||Offering 51||Week(s) - 42||Wed 10:00 - 12:50|