- Ms Jiaman Xu
Show/hide contentOpenClose All
Curricular information is subject to change
On completion of this module students should: -
1. Understand why shareholder wealth maximisation is considered to be the primary
objective of a business.
2. Achieve a good practical understanding of the 3 principal financial decisions that flow
from shareholder wealth maximisation, namely
• the financing decision,
• the investment decision, and,
• the dividend decision.
3. Appreciate the theoretical principles associated with the 3 principal financial decisions.
4. Develop an understanding of functional financial decisions, such as mergers and asset valuation.
5. Appreciate the linkages between finance and other key business disciplines.
1. Time Value of Money
2. Introduction to Corporate Finance
3. Bond and Stock Valuation
4. Risk and Return
5. The Cost of Capital
6. Capital Budgeting
7. Capital Structure
8. Corporate Payout
9. Risk Management and Derivatives
10. Mergers and Acquisitions
|Student Effort Type||Hours|
|Specified Learning Activities||
|Autonomous Student Learning||
No prior learning required
|Description||Timing||Component Scale||% of Final Grade|
|Group Project: Students will work in groups to value a corporate firm and to present their findings in a report.||Coursework (End of Trimester)||n/a||Standard conversion grade scale 40%||No||
|Examination: Exam||2 hour End of Trimester Exam||No||Standard conversion grade scale 40%||No||
|Resit In||Terminal Exam|
|Spring||Yes - 2 Hour|
• Group/class feedback, post-assessment
• Peer review activities
Students will receive group feedbacks on their project work.
|Dr Tiffany Thng||Lecturer / Co-Lecturer|