- Human Resources Management
- Mrs Suzanne Carthy
Show/hide contentOpenClose All
Curricular information is subject to change
On completion of the module students will be expected to be able to:
1. Identify key sources of information on labour market data, equality policy and legislation;
2. Contrast Irish and European patterns of inequality in the labour market, and the “pay gap” in respect of gender;
3. Critically assess key debates, evidence and theories of labour market inequality in respect of gender and race;
4. Account for the division of labour in occupations, and seniority along gender lines within industries and organisations;
5. Explain key concepts and organisational models in equal opportunities and diversity theories;
6. Critically examine equality policy including legislation, work-life balance policies, employer-led and trade union initiatives;
7. Understand examples of “best practice” and awareness of legal obligations regarding disability, race, gender and LGBT staff at work.
Labour market data and employment patterns/ pay gap in respect of gender and minorities;
Theoretical explanations for sexual and other divisions of labour;
Gender roles and the division of labour in management and other occupations;
Employer, trade union and state initiatives in equality and diversity;
Critical examination of equality and diversity strategies/business case and social justice debates;
Equality legislation, equal pay and gender pay gap regulation.
Critiques and best practice in equality and diversity strategies - positive action, family friendly policies, LGBT, disability policies.
Anti-harassment policy and procedures.
|Student Effort Type||Hours|
|Specified Learning Activities||
|Autonomous Student Learning||
Not applicable to this module.
|Description||Timing||Component Scale||% of Final Grade|
|Examination: An end of trimester examination ( 2hours) will account for 60% of the overall module grade. There will be two questions.||2 hour End of Trimester Exam||Yes||Graded||No||
|Essay: A 3000 word essay/report will be due mid semester and will be worth 40% of the overall module grade.||Week 8||n/a||Graded||No||
|Resit In||Terminal Exam|
• Feedback individually to students, post-assessment
Not yet recorded.
|Mrs Suzanne Carthy||Lecturer / Co-Lecturer|