- Business Management
- Dr John Cassidy
Show/hide contentOpenClose All
Curricular information is subject to change
On completing this module, students will be expected to be able to:
1. Explain the different strategic challenges businesses face when they operate in an international environment.
2. At a global strategic level, examine and explain the tools of strategic analysis with reference to goals, values, and performance, the nature of industry competitiveness, resources and capabilities, and organisational structure and management systems.
3. Critically analyse and evaluate Business Strategy and the Quest for Competitive Advantage in regard to the sources and dimensions of competitive advantage, industry evolution and strategic change, and technology-based industries and the management of innovation.
4. Evaluate corporate-level strategies at a global level in regard to Vertical integration and the scope of the firm, Global strategy and the Multinational Corporation, Diversification Strategy, Mergers & Acquisitions, Strategic Alliances and Networks, and Foreign Distributors.
5. Appraise the theory of global strategy intelligently and analytically.
6. Produce an applied global strategic project.
7. Ensure that all the above are sustainable.
The module will be as discursive and as practical as possible. Each session will be divided into four parts: Part 1 is a warm-up discussion on Global Strategy News introduced by individuals based on their reading of the financial press that week or indeed historically. In Part 2, the weekly lecture will be presented and discussed. In the final section Part 3, the selected case studies for that week will be discussed.
|Student Effort Type||Hours|
|Autonomous Student Learning||
Primary degree in business.
|Description||Timing||Component Scale||% of Final Grade|
|Continuous Assessment: Individual: Class Participation, Engagement, and Attendance||Throughout the Trimester||n/a||Graded||Yes||
|Assignment: Group Project||Throughout the Trimester||n/a||Graded||Yes||
|Assignment: Individual: Essay||Week 12||n/a||Graded||Yes||
|Presentation: Group Case Presentation||Varies over the Trimester||n/a||Graded||No||
|Remediation Type||Remediation Timing|
|In-Module Resit||Prior to relevant Programme Exam Board|
• Feedback individually to students, on an activity or draft prior to summative assessment
• Feedback individually to students, post-assessment
• Group/class feedback, post-assessment
• Peer review activities
Feedback on presentations, individual and group assignments