- Business Management
- Ms Ashley Hughes
Show/hide contentOpenClose All
Curricular information is subject to change
The three main learning objectives of this module are:
1. To develop your knowledge in the areas of leadership and behaviour in organisations. At the end of the module you should have a greater understanding of the theories and concepts used to explain how and why individuals and groups act the way they do in organisations.
2. To develop your analytical/diagnostic skills that enable you to use this knowledge to improve your leadership abilities. Specifically, these skills include:
• Critique organisational concepts and theories.
• Integrate the diverse concepts and theories.
• Translate these concepts and theories into management practices.
• Analyse “real life” situations and make sense of what is operating and why.
• Offer sound recommendations for improving leadership practices.
3. To develop your ability to actually practice management, e.g., leadership, collaborative teamwork, communicating, etc. Applying the learning to one’s own life as an organisational member and leader. Essentially working to develop your capability as an effective leader.
How our personality connects to our workplace performance.
The value of being self-aware
How people make sense of the world around them
How emotions and attitudes shape our behaviour at work
Motivation - concepts and application
Global Virtual Teams
Leadership Theories & Development
Power & Influence
|Student Effort Type||Hours|
|Specified Learning Activities||
|Autonomous Student Learning||
Not applicable to this module.
|Description||Timing||Component Scale||% of Final Grade|
|Continuous Assessment: Applied research Proposal - Pairs should submit a 3/4 page plan of their proposed final project. See Module Outline document for details . This is due on 3rd Nov||Week 8||n/a||Standard conversion grade scale 40%||No||
|Group Project: Applied Research Project - in pairs. Apply an L &OB theme to a real world organisational context.||Coursework (End of Trimester)||n/a||Standard conversion grade scale 40%||No||
|Essay: Individual reflection paper on key takeaways from the L & OB Module. See Module Outline for details||Week 12||n/a||Standard conversion grade scale 40%||No||
|Resit In||Terminal Exam|
• Feedback individually to students, post-assessment
• Group/class feedback, post-assessment
Project Proposals by pairs are due for submission on 3rd November. During week of 15th - 19th November I intend to have Zoom calls with each pairing to provide feedback on their project proposals and offer advice where possible. With regard to the final applied research projects I will write up a feedback note for the entire class which documents my overall views on the submissions ( without identifying individual students), if subsequently students want to arrange a one-to-one feedback session that can be accommodated.