Show/hide contentOpenClose All
Curricular information is subject to change
On completion of this module students should be able to:
1. Show knowledge and understanding of the key elements of current economic and social policy in relation to labour market in comparative perspective.
2. Display an understanding of the impact of current labour policies on the situation and position of different societal groups in Ireland and beyond.
3. Show an ability to critically analyse public policy in an EU context in in comparative perspective.
4. Write a scholarly essay which is appropriate for Level 3 students.
The following topics will be discussed:
- various ways of studying and identifying inequality in the labour market
- gender inequality, care, and gendered division of labour
- insiders and outsiders on the labour market
- migration status/ethnicity and access to employment/working conditions
- dualization/segmentation of the labour market
- welfare state segmentation/bifurcation of social rights/social citizenship
- the politics of labour/trade unionism/class politics
- party politics and labour market dualization
- social investment/skills
- social mobility and labour market
|Student Effort Type||Hours|
|Specified Learning Activities||
|Autonomous Student Learning||
Not applicable to this module.
|Resit In||Terminal Exam|
• Feedback individually to students, post-assessment
• Group/class feedback, post-assessment
Individual feedback generated to students after completion of the MCQ. Group feedback after submitting the end of term essay. Essay will base on the questions selected among the list distributed shortly before opening the possibility to submit the assignment (will take the form of a home-take exam).