Show/hide contentOpenClose All
Curricular information is subject to change
What will I learn?
On completion of this module, you should be able to:
1. Identify the key social policy data sources that are available online for Ireland and the EU;
2. Understand what kinds of information those sources contain;
3. Access these sources and locate information within them on particular social policy topics;
4.Extract and download data on these topics;
5. Use Excel spreadsheets to organise the data and present them in graphs and tables;
6. Apply basic descriptive statistics in Excel;
7. Write short descriptive accounts of what the data reveal.
How will I learn?
The course delivery is a mix of lectures and hands-on computer workshops in small groups. In the blended format live sessions are supported with in-depth pre-recorded lectures and tutorials online.
The key aim of the module is to introduce students to social science data analysis. Throughout the module the main example are drawn from analysing the labour market which includes unemployment, education level, gender pay gap, occupational segregation, female managers and the effects of Covid-19 on employment levels. With a focus on Ireland all data analysis has a European perspective.
|Student Effort Type||Hours|
|Computer Aided Lab||
|Specified Learning Activities||
|Autonomous Student Learning||
To learn about the power of stats watch this video:
|Resit In||Terminal Exam|
• Feedback individually to students, post-assessment
• Group/class feedback, post-assessment
The mid-term assignment will develop your analytical and writing skills with detailed feedback to improve data analysis. The final assignment asks for a more comprehensive and advanced data analysis and the previous feedback should be considered. In the data analysis workshops oral feedback is provided, but there will be no feedback on the submission of workshop outcomes.
|Dr Maria Pierce||Lecturer / Co-Lecturer|
|Lecture||Offering 1||Week(s) - 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, 11, 12||Mon 16:00 - 16:50|
|Lecture||Offering 1||Week(s) - 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, 11, 12||Wed 14:00 - 14:50|
|Computer Aided Lab||Offering 1||Week(s) - 5, 6, 7, 9, 10||Thurs 11:00 - 11:50|
|Computer Aided Lab||Offering 2||Week(s) - 5, 6, 7, 9, 10||Tues 13:00 - 13:50|
|Computer Aided Lab||Offering 3||Week(s) - 5, 6, 7, 9, 10||Thurs 10:00 - 10:50|
|Computer Aided Lab||Offering 4||Week(s) - 5, 6, 7, 9, 10||Tues 12:00 - 12:50|
|Computer Aided Lab||Offering 5||Week(s) - 5, 6, 7, 9, 10||Thurs 12:00 - 12:50|
|Computer Aided Lab||Offering 6||Week(s) - 5, 6, 7, 9, 10||Thurs 13:00 - 13:50|
|Computer Aided Lab||Offering 7||Week(s) - 5, 6, 7, 9, 10||Thurs 14:00 - 14:50|