Show/hide contentOpenClose All
Curricular information is subject to change
On successful completion of this module students should be able to:
1. Show an understanding of the principles that underpin qualitative research and the main methods used to generate qualitative data;
2. Develop clear and answerable research questions;
3. Understand the principles of qualitative research design;
4. Demonstrate a capacity to identify appropriate methodologies and analytic approaches for different research contexts/ questions;
5. Develop a research proposal;
6. Use the relevant methodological literature;
7. Critically appraise research instruments and fieldwork plans.
Introduction to qualitative research; literature/ theory in qualitative research; research design; ethics; interviewing; observation; working with documents and media texts; analyzing qualitative data; writing up qualitative findings
|Student Effort Type||Hours|
|Specified Learning Activities||
|Autonomous Student Learning||
Not applicable to this module.
|Description||Timing||Component Scale||% of Final Grade|
|Continuous Assessment: Leading in-class discussion of module reading; you will choose your reading/ week in week 1||Throughout the Trimester||n/a||Graded||No||
|Portfolio: Portfolio of research tasks. A minimum of 4 must be completed||Throughout the Trimester||n/a||Graded||No||
|Project: Research proposal||Coursework (End of Trimester)||n/a||Graded||No||
|Resit In||Terminal Exam|
• Feedback individually to students, on an activity or draft prior to summative assessment
• Feedback individually to students, post-assessment
• Group/class feedback, post-assessment
Feedback is given on all continuous assessment work via Brightspace, usually within 7 days of submission.