Show/hide contentOpenClose All
Curricular information is subject to change
On completion of this module, you should be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the principles of experimental design in Behavioural Neuroscience
- Explain the effects of experimental design choices on the validity and reliability of a given experimental paradigm
- Conduct calibration procedures for eyetracking and virtual reality experiments
- Understand the principles underlying neuropsychological testing
- Collect data using a variety of experimental methods in line with best practice guidelines
- Pre-process and analyse data arising from these methods
- Produce clear and succinct laboratory reports of each experimental methods.
This module will provide practical experience of conducting research using the following methods:
2. Neuropsychological testing
3. Virtual reality
Each topic will be introduced with a 3-hour theoretical lecture and laboratory demonstration. Students will then collect data in the lab in pairs, under the supervision of a demonstrator. Data will be collated, and a subset will be forwarded to each student for analysis and write-up.
|Student Effort Type||Hours|
|Autonomous Student Learning||
Not applicable to this module.
|Description||Timing||Component Scale||% of Final Grade|
|Lab Report: Lab report - eyetracking||Week 4||n/a||Graded||No||
|Lab Report: Lab report - neuropsychology||Week 8||n/a||Graded||No||
|Lab Report: Lab report - virtual reality||Week 12||n/a||Graded||No||
|Journal: Reflective journal describing the student's learning and experience throughout the module (400-600 words).||Week 12||n/a||Pass/Fail Grade Scale||No||
|Resit In||Terminal Exam|
• Feedback individually to students, post-assessment
Written feedback on the first and second lab reports will be provided via Brightspace, using a pre-prepared rubric, within 20 working days of submission.
|Dr Catherine Jordan||Lecturer / Co-Lecturer|
|Laboratory||Offering 1||Week(s) - 11||Wed 10:00 - 12:50|
|Laboratory||Offering 1||Week(s) - 2||Wed 10:00 - 12:50|
|Laboratory||Offering 1||Week(s) - 5||Wed 10:00 - 12:50|
|Laboratory||Offering 1||Week(s) - 11||Wed 13:00 - 16:50|
|Laboratory||Offering 1||Week(s) - 2, 5||Wed 13:00 - 16:50|