Show/hide contentOpenClose All
Curricular information is subject to change
On completion of this module students should be able to:
(1) describe the techniques and results of observations of stars
(2) derive/calculate information about stars' physical properties from the measurement data
(3) apply the laws of physics to understand the properties and evolution of stars, and apply models to determine parameters such as central pressure, central temperature, lifetime etc.
(4) describe the processes of stellar nucleosynthesis
(5) describe the compact objects that form at the end of stars' lives, including White Dwarf stars, Neutron stars and Pulsars.
(6) discuss the detection methods and techniques used by astronomical telescopes for operation in different parts of the electromagnetic spectrum, and perform basic calculations of telescope performance and sensitivity
Rough outline of the course
- Introduction: stellar properties (distances, magnitude, luminosities, etc); The HR diagram; ...
- Stellar structure
- Stellar evolution
- Astronomical techniques: Earth atmosphere; Fundamental concepts; Telescopes
|Student Effort Type||Hours|
|Seminar (or Webinar)||
|Specified Learning Activities||
|Autonomous Student Learning||
Module Dependencies: PHYC 20010, PHYC 20020, PHYC 20030.
|Description||Timing||Component Scale||% of Final Grade|
|Continuous Assessment: Continuous Assessment||Varies over the Trimester||n/a||Standard conversion grade scale 40%||No||
|Examination: Written exam at end of semester||2 hour End of Trimester Exam||No||Standard conversion grade scale 40%||No||
|Resit In||Terminal Exam|
|Spring||Yes - 2 Hour|
• Feedback individually to students, post-assessment
• Group/class feedback, post-assessment
The marked problem sheets with comments will be returned to the students and solutions done on the board.
|Lecture||Offering 1||Week(s) - 1||Mon 14:00 - 14:50|
|Lecture||Offering 1||Week(s) - Autumn: Weeks 2-12||Mon 14:00 - 14:50|
|Lecture||Offering 1||Week(s) - Autumn: All Weeks||Thurs 10:00 - 10:50|
|Lecture||Offering 1||Week(s) - Autumn: All Weeks||Tues 10:00 - 10:50|