Show/hide contentOpenClose All
Curricular information is subject to change
On completion of this module the student will
- Have an understanding of the role of Information Governance in Health and the specific legislation that pertains;
- Be able to propose a structured IG programme for a healthcare facility, with an understanding of the issues, risks and benefits of same;
- Have an appreciation of trends internationally around this area.
This module aims at providing the student with an overview of the broad topic of Information Governance and how it pertains to Health. IG covers a range of topics from Data Protection & Security at one end to Public Awareness and Data Usage at the other.
This module will address a range of topics including:
• What is Health Data?
• Data Protection Legislation incl GDPR, Data Protection Act, etc;
• Freedom of Information & Records Management
• Data & Cyber Security;
• Data Sharing and Use;
• IG in Research;
• Public and Staff Awareness;
• Policies & procedures;
• Access controls and methods;
• Audit / Assessment / Privacy Impact Assessments;
• Information Governance Models (Local and International).
|Student Effort Type||Hours|
|Specified Learning Activities||
|Autonomous Student Learning||
Not applicable to this module.
|Description||Timing||Component Scale||% of Final Grade|
|Assignment: The students will be required to complete a small project report on a topic related to IG for presentation to their peer group such as a draft Privacy Impact Assessment or developing an IG framework.||Unspecified||n/a||Standard conversion grade scale 40%||Yes||
|Remediation Type||Remediation Timing|
|In-Module Resit||Prior to relevant Programme Exam Board|
• Feedback individually to students, post-assessment
• Group/class feedback, post-assessment
Individual feedback will provided alongside provisional grades within 30 working days of submission on Brightspace.
|Dr Cailbhe Doherty||Lecturer / Co-Lecturer|