Show/hide contentOpenClose All
Curricular information is subject to change
On completion of this module students will be able to:
- Understand the role that systematic reviews has in decision-making and in research
- Describe the different types of literature review, their methodology, strengths, limitations, and sources of bias
- Critically appraise a knowledge synthesis paper
- Identify the steps needed to conduct a Systematic Review and understand the statistical basis of MA
. Identify the available software and applications to conduct SRs and MA
• Apply the learned skills to improve the literature review of research proposals, Master thesis and PhD thesis.
Evidence-based decision making.
Systematic reviews' basic structure
How to critically appraise a systematic review
Defining the scope of an SR (question)
The statistical basis of Meta-analysis
Basis of software used to conduct systematic reviews (revman and covidence)
Critically appraising a systematic review
Basis of GRADE framework
|Student Effort Type||Hours|
|Autonomous Student Learning||
The module is structured to understand the basics of knowledge synthesis approaches using students knowledge synthesis questions. or decision-making questions.
|Description||Timing||Component Scale||% of Final Grade|
|Assignment: The students will identify a research question or a decision-making scenario and will conduct the first steps of a systematic review||Week 12||n/a||Standard conversion grade scale 40%||Yes||
|Multiple Choice Questionnaire (Short): Multiple Choice Questionnaire||Throughout the Trimester||n/a||Standard conversion grade scale 40%||Yes||
|Assignment: Critical appraisal of an existing systematic review.
The students will select a systematic review of their choice and they will critically appraise it.
|Week 6||n/a||Standard conversion grade scale 40%||Yes||
|Remediation Type||Remediation Timing|
|In-Module Resit||Prior to relevant Programme Exam Board|
• Group/class feedback, post-assessment
• Online automated feedback
• Peer review activities
• Self-assessment activities
Midterm Assignment: Peer review feedback End of trimester presentation: Feedback after the presentation
|Assoc Professor Mary Codd||Lecturer / Co-Lecturer|
|Dr Vikram Niranjan||Lecturer / Co-Lecturer|
|Dr Meera Tandan||Tutor|