Show/hide contentOpenClose All
Curricular information is subject to change
Following the completion of this module you will be expected to:
1. Understand how precision oncology helps doctors to select the right targeted treatment in the right dose at the right time for each patient based on the genetic and molecular understanding of their individual disease.
2. Develop a multidisciplinary mindset to understand precision oncology research, and to be able to translate it into the clinic.
3. Understand the basic concepts of the technologies/platforms (e.g., genomics, proteomics etc.) used in precision oncology.
4. Be able to interpret the genetic, genomic, and other molecular data generated; and recognize actionable targets, predictive and prognostic markers.
5. Identify the main molecular diagnostic tests currently used in clinical practice; and be aware of molecular tests coming down the line.
6. Understand the importance of multidisciplinary approaches in patient care; understand the diagnostic work-up of a cancer patient, the role of the pathologist and bioinformatician in making a precise diagnosis; the impact of this diagnosis on the subsequent treatment of the patient.
|Student Effort Type||Hours|
|Seminar (or Webinar)||
|Specified Learning Activities||
|Autonomous Student Learning||
Not applicable to this module.
|Description||Timing||Component Scale||% of Final Grade|
|Group Project: By a group of 2-4 students; includes collecting and interpreting publicly available genomic/proteomics datasets for precision oncology (e.g., designing a cancer panel, setting up treatment).||Throughout the Trimester||n/a||Graded||Yes||
|Presentation: Mock molecular tumour boards by group of students or presentations around a patient case which appreciates the contribution of molecular pathology and genomics to patient management.||Week 12||n/a||Graded||Yes||
|Portfolio: Each student will keep a log tracking their progress over the weeks on what they have learnt; including reflection, evidence of activity and/or other materials.||Throughout the Trimester||n/a||Graded||Yes||
|Remediation Type||Remediation Timing|
|In-Module Resit||Prior to relevant Programme Exam Board|
• Feedback individually to students, post-assessment
• Group/class feedback, post-assessment
• Peer review activities
Not yet recorded.
|Tutorial||Offering 1||Week(s) - 20, 23, 31||Fri 10:00 - 12:50|
|Presentation||Offering 1||Week(s) - 32||Fri 10:00 - 12:50|
|Lecture||Offering 1||Week(s) - 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32||Mon 16:00 - 16:50|
|Lecture||Offering 1||Week(s) - 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32||Wed 10:00 - 10:50|