Show/hide contentOpenClose All
Curricular information is subject to change
On completion of this module, students should be able to:
1. Perform an audience analysis to formulate useful and realistic aims for a communication, and structure a communication accordingly.
2. Identify the relative benefits of written and oral communications and use this to decide what that communication usefully can and cannot do.
3. Draft a practical presentation script (presentation only) separate to the set of visual aids.
4. Understand the principles of cognitive psychology that relate to visual aids, such as visual perception, gestalt grouping, matching of intellectual and visual inferences.
5. Appreciate the power of communication tools such as stories, analogies, examples, demonstrations, infographics, videos and audience interaction.
6. Appreciate the benefits of creativity in generating multiple approaches before selecting the final communication plan.
As per module descriptor above.
|Student Effort Type||Hours|
|Autonomous Student Learning||
|Description||Timing||Component Scale||% of Final Grade|
|Group Project: Communication Exercise 2: Each group slects both static (newspaper, magazine, book) and dynamic (video, presentation) communication and appraises each via short presentation & a 1500-word report.||Week 7||n/a||Graded||No||
|Group Project: Communication Exercise 3: Give short presentation on a technical topic of their choice using tools: analogies, examples, demo’s, stories, graphs, videos, visuals, interaction. Also 1500-word report.||Week 11||n/a||Graded||No||
|Group Project: Communication Exercise 1: This will involve groups choosing a topic, and then delivering a 5-minute presentation and a 1000-word report on this topic.||Week 4||n/a||Graded||No||
|Remediation Type||Remediation Timing|
|Repeat||Within Two Trimesters|
• Feedback individually to students, on an activity or draft prior to summative assessment
• Feedback individually to students, post-assessment
• Group/class feedback, post-assessment
• Peer review activities
For each of three group presentations, I meet each group individually after each presentation and give them verbal feedback on the assignment as well as their grades. They receive feedback on the last assignment before starting on the next one.
|Small Group||Offering 1||Week(s) - 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 28, 29, 30, 32||Fri 11:00 - 12:50|
|Small Group||Offering 1||Week(s) - Autumn: All Weeks||Fri 11:00 - 12:50|
|Lecture||Offering 1||Week(s) - Autumn: All Weeks||Tues 12:00 - 12:50|
|Lecture||Offering 1||Week(s) - 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32||Tues 13:00 - 13:50|