Show/hide contentOpenClose All
Curricular information is subject to change
On successful completion of this subject the student will be able to:
1. Formulate an analytical solution for the stress fields in classic elasticity problems using the method of Airy stress functions.
2. Calculate the state of stress in thick-walled composite cylinders formed by a specified interference fit between an outer jacket and an inner sleeve.
3. Calculate the deflections and bending stresses of commonly-encountered rectangular & circular plates subjected to a variety of boundary conditions.
4. Analyze dynamic stress waves in bars subjected to impact loading.
5. Determine the collapse load for simple beam structures.
|Student Effort Type||Hours|
|Autonomous Student Learning||
Not applicable to this module.
|Description||Timing||Component Scale||% of Final Grade|
|Assignment: Brightspace Quiz 2||Week 7||n/a||Graded||No||
|Assignment: Brightspace Quiz 3||Week 10||n/a||Graded||No||
|Assignment: Brightspace Quiz 1||Week 4||n/a||Graded||No||
|Lab Report: One lab report to be submitted via Brightspace - Laboratory Experiment to demonstrate a concept discussed in lectures.||Varies over the Trimester||n/a||Graded||No||
|Examination: Final Examination||2 hour End of Trimester Exam||No||Graded||No||
|Resit In||Terminal Exam|
• Feedback individually to students, post-assessment
• Group/class feedback, post-assessment
Assignments: Feedback for Brightspace Quizzes will be available immediately after the Quiz has been submitted. Laboratory Report: Will be submitted via Brightspace and a short individual feedback will be provided (also via Brightspace) by the teaching assistant in charge of the lab. Exam: Individual feedback will be provided on request after the final results have been released.
|Lecture||Offering 1||Week(s) - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, 11, 12||Mon 12:00 - 12:50|
|Lecture||Offering 1||Week(s) - Autumn: All Weeks||Thurs 14:00 - 14:50|
|Lecture||Offering 1||Week(s) - Autumn: All Weeks||Wed 11:00 - 11:50|
|Laboratory||Offering 1||Week(s) - 4||Wed 15:00 - 17:50|
|Laboratory||Offering 2||Week(s) - 5||Wed 15:00 - 17:50|
|Laboratory||Offering 3||Week(s) - 6||Wed 15:00 - 17:50|
|Laboratory||Offering 4||Week(s) - 7||Wed 15:00 - 17:50|
|Laboratory||Offering 5||Week(s) - 8||Wed 15:00 - 17:50|