Show/hide contentOpenClose All
Curricular information is subject to change
On successful completion of this module the student will be able to:
1. Explain the historical and anticipated evolution of energy demand, by region and fuel type.
2. Explain, analyse, and discuss the potential impacts of fossil-fuel combustion on local and global scales.
3. Discuss the political, ethical, and technological tensions associated with growing energy demand.
4. Identify potential areas of tension between the goals of the Paris Climate Agreement and the UN SDGs.
5. Judge the physical, societal, economic and technical constraints on fossil-fuel based power generation, currently and into the future.
6. Assess the potential of alternative and renewable energy sources to supplement, and/or replace, conventional fuels in this role, and to contribute to achieving the UN SDGs.
This module will address the following topics:
Energy supply & demand: perspectives in time and space
The role of energy in achieving the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
Combustion, CO2, and Climate Change
Climate change: attribution and prediction
Reconciling the goals of the Paris Climate Agreement, with the UN SDGs.
Energy and Climate Policies - Irish, EU, and global perspectives
Displacing fossil-fuel combustion - challenges & opportunities
Choosing amongst alternative energy systems
Biomass and biofuels
Wind, Marine, and Solar energy
|Student Effort Type||Hours|
|Specified Learning Activities||
|Autonomous Student Learning||
Not applicable to this module.
|Description||Timing||Component Scale||% of Final Grade|
|Assignment: Group assignment||Week 6||n/a||Graded||No||
|Class Test: Brightspace Quiz||Week 3||n/a||Standard conversion grade scale 40%||No||
|Examination: End-of-trimester exam||2 hour End of Trimester Exam||Yes||Standard conversion grade scale 40%||No||
|Assignment: Individual assignment||Week 10||n/a||Graded||No||
|Resit In||Terminal Exam|
• Group/class feedback, post-assessment
• Peer review activities
Not yet recorded.
|Assoc Professor Luis Leon Vintro||Lecturer / Co-Lecturer|
|Lecture||Offering 1||Week(s) - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, 11, 12||Mon 11:00 - 11:50|
|Lecture||Offering 1||Week(s) - Autumn: All Weeks||Tues 14:00 - 14:50|
|Lecture||Offering 1||Week(s) - Autumn: All Weeks||Wed 12:00 - 12:50|