Show/hide contentOpenClose All
Curricular information is subject to change
On successful completion of this subject the student will be able to:
1. Establish the theoretical stress distributions ahead of a crack under brittle and ductile conditions.
2. Explain the relationship between linear elastic and non-linear fracture concepts and the terms K, G, CTOD and J.
3. Distinguish between the mechanisms of fracture under brittle and ductile conditions.
4. Appreciate how to make valid fracture toughness measurements for a range of materials.
5. Apply the principles of fracture mechanics to predict the fatigue life of engineering components.
|Student Effort Type||Hours|
|Autonomous Student Learning||
Students should have MEEN30020 or equivalent.
|Description||Timing||Component Scale||% of Final Grade|
|Presentation: Group presentation of the findings of a literature review on some aspect of fracture mechanics.||Varies over the Trimester||n/a||Graded||No||
|Assignment: Homework Assignment||Week 7||n/a||Graded||No||
|Examination: Final Examination||2 hour End of Trimester Exam||No||Graded||No||
|Lab Report: Lab report to be submitted via Brightspace: Failure Analysis Laboratory.
||Varies over the Trimester||n/a||Graded||No||
|Resit In||Terminal Exam|
|Spring||Yes - 2 Hour|
• Feedback individually to students, post-assessment
• Group/class feedback, post-assessment
Assignment: Individual feedback will be provided via Brightspace. Laboratory Report: Will be submitted via Brightspace and a short individual feedback will be provided (also via Brightspace) by the teaching assistant in charge of the lab. Exam: Individual feedback will be provided on request after the grades have been released.
|Dr Ehsan Rezvani||Tutor|
|Lecture||Offering 1||Week(s) - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, 11, 12||Mon 14:00 - 14:50|
|Lecture||Offering 1||Week(s) - Autumn: All Weeks||Thurs 10:00 - 10:50|
|Lecture||Offering 1||Week(s) - Autumn: All Weeks||Tues 10:00 - 10:50|
|Laboratory||Offering 1||Week(s) - 2, 10||Fri 15:00 - 16:50|
|Laboratory||Offering 2||Week(s) - 3, 9||Fri 15:00 - 16:50|
|Laboratory||Offering 3||Week(s) - 4, 8||Fri 15:00 - 16:50|
|Laboratory||Offering 4||Week(s) - 5, 11||Fri 15:00 - 16:50|
|Laboratory||Offering 5||Week(s) - 6, 7||Fri 15:00 - 16:50|
|Laboratory||Offering 6||Week(s) - 2, 10||Thurs 15:00 - 16:50|
|Laboratory||Offering 7||Week(s) - 3, 9||Thurs 15:00 - 16:50|
|Laboratory||Offering 8||Week(s) - 4, 8||Thurs 15:00 - 16:50|
|Laboratory||Offering 9||Week(s) - 5, 11||Thurs 15:00 - 16:50|
|Laboratory||Offering 10||Week(s) - 6, 7||Thurs 15:00 - 16:50|