Show/hide contentOpenClose All
Curricular information is subject to change
On successful completion of this module, students should have improved their skills in:
- Analysis and appraisal of engineering research activities
- Development and implementation of engineering research methodologies
- Planning and managing an engineering research project
- Ability to understand engineering processes and practices, including health and safety
- Maintaining good documentation and data management
- Data analysis using software tools such as Matlab and Python.
- Communicating technical ideas verbally, visually and in technical writing.
|Student Effort Type||Hours|
|Autonomous Student Learning||
Not applicable to this module.
|Description||Timing||Component Scale||% of Final Grade|
|Assignment: Write an essay on the application of the engineering methodology||Week 4||n/a||Graded||No||
|Attendance: Students are required to spend six hours per week in the laboratory of their research group.||Throughout the Trimester||n/a||Graded||No||
|Assignment: Written and oral presentation of a scientific report in form of an Abstract and Poster Presentation||Throughout the Trimester||n/a||Graded||No||
|Journal: Students will be required to keep a lab notebook detailing their laboratory based activities throughout the duration of the placement.||Throughout the Trimester||n/a||Graded||No||
|Continuous Assessment: Student performance: acquisition of skills, good engineering practice, data management and analysis||Throughout the Trimester||n/a||Graded||No||
|Journal: In addition to the Laboratory Journal, students will be required to keep a short Learning Journal detailing and reflecting upon their experiences, views and suggestions regarding working within a lab.||Throughout the Trimester||n/a||Graded||No||
|Remediation Type||Remediation Timing|
|In-Module Resit||Prior to relevant Programme Exam Board|
• Feedback individually to students, on an activity or draft prior to summative assessment
• Group/class feedback, post-assessment
• Peer review activities
Students will receive ongoing feedback from their laboratory mentors as well as feedback on their submitted assignments. During the poster sessions students will engage in peer review.