Show/hide contentOpenClose All
Curricular information is subject to change
On successful completion of this subject the student will be able to:
1. Analyze 2D states of stress and strain, sketch Mohr's Circles and calculate principal values and corresponding principal directions.
2. Analyze 3D states of stress and strain, sketch Mohr's Circles and calculate the principal values and corresponding principal directions of stress and strain tensors.
3. Confidently analyze the state of stress caused by a combination of axial, torsional and bending loads and determine the resulting factor of safety against yielding.
4. Calculate the required diameter or the factor of safety of a shaft subjected to fatigue loading.
5. Perform a finite element stress analysis of a simple engineering component.
6. Present and justify the main assumptions and findings in formulating and solving the stress analysis problems encountered in the course.
|Student Effort Type||Hours|
|Autonomous Student Learning||
Not applicable to this module.
|Description||Timing||Component Scale||% of Final Grade|
|Examination: Exam||2 hour End of Trimester Exam||No||Graded||No||
|Continuous Assessment: 2 Quiz assessments||Throughout the Trimester||n/a||Graded||No||
|Lab Report: Marks based on one laboratory assignments||Varies over the Trimester||n/a||Graded||No||
|Remediation Type||Remediation Timing|
|In-Module Resit||Prior to relevant Programme Exam Board|
• Group/class feedback, post-assessment
• Online automated feedback
Not yet recorded.
|Dr Aasifa Rounak||Lecturer / Co-Lecturer|