Show/hide contentOpenClose All
Curricular information is subject to change
On successful completion of this course the student will be able to:
1. Construct free body diagrams of engineering structures or individual components and clearly illustrate the state of loading to which they are subjected.
2. Apply the principles of static equilibrium and distinguish between problems which are easily solved (statically determinate) and those which require a more advanced solution strategy (statically indeterminate).
3. Calculate the internal stresses and the associated deflections in structural elements subjected to axial, torsional and bending loads.
4. Describe the assumptions and limitations of the analytical methods used in the course.
5. Analyse and interpret experimental data and compare the results with appropriately identified analytical solutions.
Solution of statically determinate and relatively simple statically indeterminate pin-jointed structures. Buckling of slender columns. Torsion of circular sections: determination of shear stress and angle of twist for statically determinate and indeterminate problems. Bending of beams: shear force and bending moment diagrams, calculation of normal and shear stress distributions, beam deflections and statically indeterminate beam problems.
Lab 1: Strain gauging - determination of the state of stress in components subjected to axial, bending and torsional loading.
Lab 2: Investigation of the deflection of a beam in bending.
Lab 3: Investigation of the buckling behaviour of slender columns.
Tutorials are integral part of this module.
Assignments: Two quizzes will be set during the trimester.
|Student Effort Type||Hours|
|Autonomous Student Learning||
Not applicable to this module.
|Description||Timing||Component Scale||% of Final Grade|
|Examination: End-semester exam||2 hour End of Trimester Exam||No||Standard conversion grade scale 40%||No||
|Class Test: 3 short class tests||Varies over the Trimester||n/a||Graded||No||
|Assignment: 2 home quizzes will be set||Varies over the Trimester||n/a||Graded||No||
|Lab Report: 2 out of 3 Laboratories||Varies over the Trimester||n/a||Graded||No||
|Remediation Type||Remediation Timing|
|In-Module Resit||Prior to relevant Programme Exam Board|
• Group/class feedback, post-assessment
• Self-assessment activities
Not yet recorded.