Show/hide contentOpenClose All
Curricular information is subject to change
On completion of this module students should:
* Understand current industrial practice in the workplace and be aware of career opportunities and how to identify them.
* Understand the career planning process and be able to plan their career more effectively.
* Know how to search effectively for information for assignments, projects and career opportunities.
* Be familiar with the skills required by employers, have evaluated the skills they have already developed that are important for career success and practiced and developed their skills e.g. communication skills, project management skills, team working.
* Acquire and hone their skills in scientific writing (proposals, reports, publications) and making presentations (pitching an idea, presenting results, convincing in a discussion)
* Understand and apply the basic principles of project planning (timelines, development of workflows, documenting results)
* Be able to write a C.V. and cover letter and in particular know how to customise CVs to specific job applications
* Work effectively as part of a team and develop interpersonal skills that are vital for the industrial jobs market
* Understand the principles and practices that underpin good scientific writing
Students must complete and pass each component of the module in order to pass this module. In addition, students must attend the compulsory lectures. Students who fail to attend a specified number of compulsory classes or who fail to complete and pass a component will be required to take an additional assignment in order to be awarded the credits of this module and complete the programme.
|Student Effort Type||Hours|
|Seminar (or Webinar)||
|Specified Learning Activities||
|Autonomous Student Learning||
Not applicable to this module.
|Description||Timing||Component Scale||% of Final Grade|
|Assignment: Tailored Application to Relevant Job Specification||Coursework (End of Trimester)||n/a||Other||Yes||
|Group Project: Group project: Group Career Investigation Report||Throughout the Trimester||n/a||Other||Yes||
|Assignment: Assessed Interview||Throughout the Trimester||n/a||Other||No||
|Remediation Type||Remediation Timing|
|In-Module Resit||Prior to relevant Programme Exam Board|
• Feedback individually to students, post-assessment
• Group/class feedback, post-assessment
• Self-assessment activities
Not yet recorded.
|Mr Mark Cumisky||Lecturer / Co-Lecturer|