Show/hide contentOpenClose All
Curricular information is subject to change
Students will learn to:
* Consider the fields within STEM as a valuable subjects contributing to a learner's sense of identity, scientific literacy, abilities to communicate, abilities to work in a team, decision-making capabilities and capacity to meaningfully engage in society with regards to the environment, social integration and sustainable development.
* Design engaging and accessible lessons that build on research and are employed through their own classroom practice.
* Undertake research of curriculum materials and digital resources in devising their own lessons.
* Present and share ideas with colleagues.
* Collaborate in developing classroom environments that develop learners’ knowledge and skills in an equitable setting, that purposefully consider diversity.
* Critically reflect on their teaching and learning as a student teacher of Mathematics and/or Science/STEM.
* Communicate with others, including peers, colleagues and parents.
Pedagogical content will include:
- Junior cycle Science and Mathematics Curricula & Short Courses
- Senior Cycle Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Computer Science, Applied Mathematics & Mathematics
- Teaching for Robust Understanding
- Classroom Management
- Lesson design
- Collaboration in classroom and school settings
|Student Effort Type||Hours|
|Autonomous Student Learning||
Not applicable to this module.
|Description||Timing||Component Scale||% of Final Grade|
|Essay: Reflective essay on students' development of knowledge and skills, as relevant to STEM teaching and learning, throughout the term.||Week 12||n/a||Alternative linear conversion grade scale 40%||No||
|Continuous Assessment: Throughout the trimester, students will submit lesson plans based on their Science / Mathematics placement lessons. These lesson plans (3) will contribute to the final grade in this assignment.
||Throughout the Trimester||n/a||Alternative linear conversion grade scale 40%||No||
|Continuous Assessment: Formative feedback assessment of classroom teaching and learning on school placement.||Unspecified||n/a||Pass/Fail Grade Scale||No||
|Continuous Assessment: Weekly reflections on classroom observations and experiences of teaching and learning.||Throughout the Trimester||n/a||Alternative linear conversion grade scale 40%||No||
|Remediation Type||Remediation Timing|
|In-Module Resit||Prior to relevant Programme Exam Board|
• Feedback individually to students, on an activity or draft prior to summative assessment
• Feedback individually to students, post-assessment
• Group/class feedback, post-assessment
• Peer review activities
Not yet recorded.
|Dr Diarmaid Hyland||Lecturer / Co-Lecturer|
|Assoc Professor Aoibhinn Ni Shuilleabhain||Lecturer / Co-Lecturer|
|Lecture||Offering 1||Week(s) - 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33||Thurs 13:00 - 13:50|
|Tutorial||Offering 1||Week(s) - 20, 21, 23, 24, 25, 26, 29, 30, 32, 33||Wed 13:00 - 13:50|