These are for background reading and no single text is mandatory. Different styles suit different students but in general bear in mind the date of the book given how law changes.
• M. Dawson and F. de Witte, EU Law and Governance CUP 2022 (only text on this field specifically)
• C. Barnard and S Peers (eds) European Union Law 3rd ed CUP 2020
• D Chalmers, G Davies and G Monti, European Union Law 4th ed CUP, 2019
• P Craig & G de Búrca, EU Law: Texts, Case and Materials 7th ed OUP 2020
• E. Herlin-Karnell, G. Conway and A. Ganesh, European Union Law in Context, Hart, Oxford, 2022
• R Schütze, European Union Law 3rd ed CUP 2021
• R. Schütze, An introduction to European law, 3rd ed, 2020
• I Solanke, EU Law Pearson 2nd ed 2022
• J Steiner and L Woods, EU Law 14th ed 2020
Law and Legislation
• N Foster EU Legislation (for a copy of the consolidated treaty) – a new ed comes out every year but you can always find legislation and the Treaties online.
Other General Reference Books
• KJ Alter, The European Court’s Political Power OUP Oxford 2009
• A Arnull, The European Union and its Court of Justice 2nd ed OUP 2006
• C Barnard (ed), The Fundamental of EU Law Revisited: Assessing the Impact of the Constitutional Debate OUP 2007
• C Barnard and O Odudu (eds) The Outer Limits of European Union Law Hart 2009
• C. Barnard & S. Peers, European Union Law (4th Edition, Oxford University Press: Oxford UK, 2023)
• CJ. Bickteron, European Integration: From Nation States to Member States OUP Oxford 2012
• CJ Bickerton, D Hodson and U Puetter (eds) The New Intergovernmentalism: European Integration in the Post‐Maastricht Era (2015) 53(4) Journal of Common Market Studies (special issue)
• D. Chalmers, M. Jackenfüchs, C Joerges (eds), The End of the Eurocrats Dream: Adjusting to European Diversity CUP 2016
• PP Craig and G de Búrca (eds), The Evolution of EU Law, 3rd Edition, Oxford University Press: Oxford UK, 2021.
• P.P. Craig, The Lisbon Treaty: Law, Politics and Treaty Reform OUP Oxford 2013
• D. Curtin, Executive Power of the European Union: Law, Practices and the Living Constitution OUP Oxford 2009
• K. Davies, Understanding European Union Law, (7th Edition, Routledge: UK, 2019).
• G de Búrca, D Kochenov and A Williams (eds), Europe's Justice Deficit? Hart, Oxford 2015
• G De Búrca and J Scott (eds.), Narrowing the Gap? Law and New Approaches to Governance in the European Union (2007) 13(3) Columbia Journal of European Law (special issue)
• J. Dickson & P. Eleftheriadis, Philosophical Foundations of European Union Law (Oxford University Press; Oxford UK, 2012)
• M. Eliantonio, E. Korkea-aho, O. Sţefan (eds), EU soft law in the member states: theoretical findings and empirical evidence, 2021
• D Hodson and J Peterson (eds), The Institutions of the European Union 5th OUP Oxford 2021
• T.C. Hartley, The Foundations of European Union Law (8th Ed OUP, Oxford 2014)
• A. Hartzén, A. Iossa, E. Karageorgiou, Law, solidarity and the limits of social Europe: constitutional tensions for EU integration, 2022
• Adrienne Héritier, Explaining Institutional Change in Europe OUP, Oxford, 2007
• E Jones, A Menon and S Weatherill., eds., The Oxford Handbook of the European Union, Oxford University Press: Oxford UK, 2014.
• N McCormick, Questioning Sovereignty OUP 1999
• J. Neyer, The Justification of Europe: A Political Theory of Supranational Integration OUP 2012
• Rosas & Armati, EU Constitutional Law: An Introduction (Hart Publishing 2018),
• R. Schultze, European Constitutional Law 3rd ed 2021 CUP
• A-M Slaughter, A Stone Sweet and JHH Weiler, The European Court and National Courts Hart 1997
• A Stone Sweet, The Judicial Construction of Europe OUP 2004
• A von Bogdandy and J Bast (eds), The Principles of European Constitutional Law 2nd ed Hart 2008
• JHH Weiler & Wind (eds) European Constitutionalism Beyond the State 2004, CUP
• JHH Weiler, The Constitution of Europe CUP Cambridge 1999
• A Williams, The Ethos of Europe: Values, Law and Justice in the European Union CUP 2010
• M Zürn and C Joerges (eds), Law and Governance in Post-National Europe CUP 2011.
Online Journals and Working Papers (i.e. not in the UCD library databases)
European Research Papers Archive http://eiop.or.at/erpa/
LSE Research Institute http://www.lse.ac.uk/european-institute/research/leqs-discussion-paper-series/papers
Jean Monnet Papers https://jeanmonnetprogram.org/papers/
EUI Online Papers http://cadmus.eui.eu/handle/1814/812/browse?type=dateissued
ARENA Working Papers http://www.sv.uio.no/arena/english
Ideas of Europe http://ideasoneurope.eu
European Law blog http://europeanlawblog.eu
EU Law Analysis http://eulawanalysis.blogspot.ie
The Verfassungsblog https://verfassungsblog.de/
Other Reference Sources
EU Web-Site: http://europa.eu/ This site is vast but a familiarity with it pays real dividends. NEVER just provide this cite in your work.
For case law see the Court of Justice web site at http://curia.europa.eu/ also
European Navigator https://www.cvce.eu/ - history and politics very useful for historical material/interview/images on the EU.
Note that when using working papers for research purposes, it is important to search to see if there is a final version if the paper is more than a few months old.
Politico: EU politics blog – https://www.politico.eu/
Verfassungsblog: European constitutional law - https://verfassungsblog.de/
EU Law blog – useful especially for recent cases https://europeanlawblog.eu/
EU Law analysis blog: run by Prof Steve Peers - http://eulawanalysis.blogspot.com/
The Financial Times - the best newspaper coverage of EU business, law and politics
The Economist also has excellent coverage.
Anything written by Tony Connelly, RTE reporter in Brussels. Check RTE player for blogs/videos.
EU Representation in Ireland
Europe House, 12-14 Mount Street Lower, Grand Canal Dock, Dublin 2, D02 W710 (Parliament and Commission) www.ec.europa.eu/ireland/ You can sign up for their weekly email.