Show/hide contentOpenClose All
Curricular information is subject to change
On successful completion of this module students will be able to:
- Translate the set texts.
- Explain the course of the affair between Cicero and Clodius as depicted in the poetry.
- Recognise the main features of Catullus' style.
- Identify the key features of the 'New Poetry'.
- Recount the major political and social events of the period 63-54BC and evaluate the significance or otherwise of these events to the poetry of Catullus.
This module is language intensive, focused on Latin-to-English translation of unadapted passages of Catullus
|Student Effort Type||Hours|
|Specified Learning Activities||
|Autonomous Student Learning||
Not applicable to this module.
|Description||Timing||Component Scale||% of Final Grade|
|Essay: c.2000 word essay||Week 10||n/a||Graded||No||
|Examination: End of semester exam, testing ability to translate passages of Catullus's poetry||1 hour End of Trimester Exam||No||Graded||No||
|Project: Collation and comparison of various translations of a poem of Catullus||Week 6||n/a||Graded||No||
|Resit In||Terminal Exam|
• Feedback individually to students, post-assessment
Students will receive their mid-term essay back in a one-on-one session to be scheduled shortly after submission.
|Tutorial||Offering 1||Week(s) - 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32||Mon 14:00 - 14:50|
|Tutorial||Offering 1||Week(s) - 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32||Wed 16:00 - 16:50|