Show/hide contentOpenClose All
Curricular information is subject to change
On completion of this module participants will be able to:
• Critically evaluate effective written communications for specified professional target audiences
• Assess the requirements of specific communicative tasks and plan appropriate written responses
• Write accurate, engaging short texts in response to a targeted brief
• Proofread and edit short texts
• Develop and deliver project based on a specific personal interest, selecting appropriate communicational strategies
•Understanding the importance of clear, concise, structured communications in professional contexts.
•Evaluating examples of various forms of communication.
•Evaluating various communication aids, including AI apps.
•Drafting effective communications for various formats and audiences: including, for example, print media, public relations, marketing, report writing, abstract editing, public speaking, presentations and social media.
•Developing and delivering a project to communicate a topic of personal interest, selecting an appropriate communicational strategy.
•Giving and receiving effective feedback on documents for professional purposes.
|Student Effort Type||Hours|
|Specified Learning Activities||
|Autonomous Student Learning||
Not applicable to this module.
|Description||Timing||Component Scale||% of Final Grade|
|Presentation: Presentation of project plan, including reflection on the writing/development process.||Unspecified||n/a||Pass/Fail Grade Scale||No||
|Continuous Assessment: Portfolio of written assignments developed in the course of the module.||Varies over the Trimester||n/a||Pass/Fail Grade Scale||No||
|Project: Submission of a completed project based on the plan presented||Coursework (End of Trimester)||n/a||Pass/Fail Grade Scale||No||
|Resit In||Terminal Exam|
• Feedback individually to students, on an activity or draft prior to summative assessment
• Feedback individually to students, post-assessment
• Group/class feedback, post-assessment
• Peer review activities
• Self-assessment activities
Feedback will be a central part of this workshop module: participants will develop their writing skills through the feedback and reflection process of working on practical writing tasks. Facilitators will provide ongoing feedback to drafts and samples of written work during the workshops and participants will receive individual oral and written feedback on their final submission.
|Assoc Professor Jaime Jones||Lecturer / Co-Lecturer|
|Mr John Millar||Lecturer / Co-Lecturer|