Show/hide contentOpenClose All
Curricular information is subject to change
Upon completion of this course, the student will be able to:
1) Recognise the importance of plants in the food chain, and in environmental regulation.
2) Detail the basic requirements of plant/crop growth and development.
3) Understand plant structure and function.
4) Identify plants of agronomic importance, including major arable, horticultural and forage crops, and perennial and annual weed species.
5) Understand how plant physiology impacts crop productivity.
6) Understand how plant relationships with beneficial and pathogenic microorganisms impact crop production.
7) Understand the influence of post-harvest physiology on the quality and shelf-life of food crops.
8) Understand the basic principles of plant genetics as they underpin plant/crop breeding.
|Student Effort Type||Hours|
|Autonomous Student Learning||
|Description||Timing||Component Scale||% of Final Grade|
|Assignment: Plant Herbarium||Week 10||n/a||Alternative linear conversion grade scale 40%||No||
|Lab Report: 4 lab reports valued at 5% each||Throughout the Trimester||n/a||Alternative linear conversion grade scale 40%||No||
|Multiple Choice Questionnaire: 1 hour End of trimester MCQ exam||1 hour End of Trimester Exam||n/a||Alternative linear conversion grade scale 40%||No||
|Resit In||Terminal Exam|
|Spring||Yes - 1 Hour|
|Dr Angela Feechan||Lecturer / Co-Lecturer|
|Dr Tomás McCabe||Lecturer / Co-Lecturer|
|Assoc Professor Helen Sheridan||Lecturer / Co-Lecturer|
|Dr Saoirse Tracy||Lecturer / Co-Lecturer|
|Assoc Professor Owen Doyle||Tutor|
|Dr Mary Harty||Tutor|
|Lecture||Offering 1||Week(s) - Autumn: All Weeks||Thurs 10:00 - 10:50|
|Lecture||Offering 1||Week(s) - Autumn: All Weeks||Tues 10:00 - 10:50|
|Practical||Offering 1||Week(s) - 2, 4, 6, 8, 10||Mon 15:00 - 17:50|
|Practical||Offering 2||Week(s) - 2, 4, 6, 8, 10||Tues 15:00 - 17:50|
|Practical||Offering 3||Week(s) - 2, 4, 6, 8, 10||Thurs 15:00 - 18:00|
|Practical||Offering 4||Week(s) - 3, 5, 7, 9, 11||Tues 15:00 - 17:50|