Show/hide contentOpenClose All
Curricular information is subject to change
On successful completion of this module students should have:
- Developed an understanding of the international and national political, economic, military, social and intellectual forces that shaped Irish foreign policy in the twentieth century.
- Engaged with and evaluated the historiographical and critical debates surrounding foreign policy in this period.
- Critically analysed key primary and secondary sources.
- Engaged in group discussion of these sources and presented their conclusions.
- Developed their skills in written analysis.
- Undertaken self-directed research towards a final project.
This module will cover the following main areas: Week 1: Introduction: The parameters of Irish Foreign Policy; Week 2: The Dáil, the Treaty and the Origins of the Department of External Affairs; Week 3: The Quest for Sovereignty I: Cumann na nGaedheal; Week 4: The Quest for Sovereignty II: Fianna Fáil; Week 5: Neutrality and Wartime Diplomacy; Week 6: Cold Warriors? Ireland and the Post-War World; Week 7: Ireland at the United Nations; Week 8: Partition, Diplomacy and North-South Relations; Week 9: From Civil Rights to Sunningdale; Week 10: The Road to the EEC; Week 11: Conclusions.
|Student Effort Type||Hours|
|Specified Learning Activities||
|Autonomous Student Learning||
|Seminar (or Webinar)||
Not applicable to this module.
|Description||Timing||Component Scale||% of Final Grade|
|Continuous Assessment: Contribution to seminars||Throughout the Trimester||n/a||Graded||No||
|Presentation: A combined 10-15 minute seminar and 1,500 word written essay||Varies over the Trimester||n/a||Graded||No||
|Project: 4,000 word research project||Coursework (End of Trimester)||n/a||Graded||No||
|Resit In||Terminal Exam|
• Feedback individually to students, post-assessment
Feedback on the combined 15-minute presentation/1,500 word essay will be given individually in person and on Brightspace. Written and oral feedback will be provided on an ongoing basis on preparatory plans and primary and secondary source bibliographies for the end-of-semester research project. Feedback on the end-of-semester research project will be given on Brightspace once grades have been published.
|Seminar||Offering 1||Week(s) - 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33||Thurs 09:00 - 10:50|
|Lecture||Offering 1||Week(s) - 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33||Wed 15:00 - 15:50|