Show/hide contentOpenClose All
Curricular information is subject to change
• Students will gain a deeper understanding of the political and social history of Athens in the fifth and fourth centuries BC.
• Students will be able to analyse a variety of forms of ancient evidence, including: literary, numismatic, and epigraphic sources, as well as fifth-century Athenian art, architecture, and iconography.
• Students will gain an understanding of the key debates in the study of ancient imperialism and empire with particular emphasis on fifth- and fourth-century Athens.
• Through engagement with complex texts and trans-cultural traditions students will develop their critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
• Students will hone their ability to communicate their ideas and argument through oral and written presentations.
• Students will develop their ability to manage deadlines and balance conflicting demands.
|Student Effort Type||Hours|
|Specified Learning Activities||
|Autonomous Student Learning||
Not applicable to this module.
|Description||Timing||Component Scale||% of Final Grade|
|Assignment: Podcast: students will record a short podcast. In the event that you do not have a mobile phone or other means of recording, an alternate assessment will be agreed.||Week 11||n/a||Graded||No||
|Essay: Students will write an end-of-trimester essay based on a topic chosen from a list provided, or agree an alternate title with the module coordinator.||Coursework (End of Trimester)||n/a||Graded||No||
|Continuous Assessment: Students will complete online quizzes tied to the material covered in the lectures and essential reading.||Throughout the Trimester||n/a||Graded||No||
|Resit In||Terminal Exam|
• Feedback individually to students, post-assessment
• Online automated feedback
Students will receive feedback on their podcast and their essay from the module coordinator. Online quizzes will receive automated feedback.
|Lecture||Offering 1||Week(s) - 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32||Thurs 13:00 - 13:50|
|Tutorial||Offering 1||Week(s) - 20, 22, 24, 28, 30||Tues 15:00 - 15:50|
|Tutorial||Offering 2||Week(s) - 21, 23, 25, 29, 31||Wed 11:00 - 11:50|
|Tutorial||Offering 3||Week(s) - 20, 22, 24, 28, 30||Wed 11:00 - 11:50|
|Tutorial||Offering 4||Week(s) - 21, 23, 25, 29, 31||Thurs 16:00 - 16:50|
|Tutorial||Offering 5||Week(s) - 20, 22, 24, 28, 30||Thurs 16:00 - 16:50|