Show/hide contentOpenClose All
Curricular information is subject to change
On successful completion of the module students should be able to:
• Demonstrate comprehension of medium-length and longer-length clips from audio and audiovisual material in German.
• Summarise information and synthesise ideas in writing.
• Show a commitment to autonomous learning by researching independently from German-language media, such as newspapers and online sources.
• Express different positions on a current issue in written German using a variety of grammatical structures and appropriate vocabulary and idiom.
• Keep up a casual conversation with a good level of fluency, coping with abstract expressions.
• Give a recorded presentation (narrated powerpoint) with a good level of fluency using the appropriate register and a wide range of vocabulary.
This module explores audio-visual and written materials drawn from a variety of media including TV documentaries, online audio-visual and press sources that deal with personalities from different historical periods and different aspects of German-speaking society It focuses on advanced written and oral production and comprehension in German, supporting students as they independently refine their grammatical knowledge and expand their vocabulary to present portraits of selected persons and hypothesise about their views on social, cultural and political issues.
|Student Effort Type||Hours|
|Specified Learning Activities||
|Autonomous Student Learning||
Programme students of German must have successfully completed GER 20060 (German Language 2a) and GER 20070 (German Language 2b) OR GER 20180 (Intensive German Ex-Beginners) OR GER 20240 (German Ex-Beginners A) and GER 20250 (German Ex-Beginners B) prior to taking GER 30080.
An extended period spent abroad in a German-speaking country or frequent exposure to a German-speaking environment is highly recommended. The proficiency level recommended is a minimum of B2 (CEFR). Programme students of German are deemed to have met this if a minimum of a B grade has been achieved in GER 20070 (German Language IIb).
Non-programme students of German or students taking this module as an elective, but who have not completed or passed both Level 2 German language modules, must contact the module coordinator.
|Description||Timing||Component Scale||% of Final Grade|
|Continuous Assessment: Participation in three small-group discussions||Throughout the Trimester||n/a||Graded||No||
|Examination: Porträt-essay based on material discussed in class and a specific question (choice of questions).
In-person written exam.
|2 hour End of Trimester Exam||No||Graded||No||
|Presentation: Recording of an oral Presentation (Porträt) on a selected and independently-researched personality.||Week 6||n/a||Graded||No||
|Resit In||Terminal Exam|
|Spring||Yes - 2 Hour|
• Feedback individually to students, on an activity or draft prior to summative assessment
• Feedback individually to students, post-assessment
• Group/class feedback, post-assessment
• Online automated feedback
Feedback on formative assessments (regular homework) will be provided individually and for the entire class. Students should submit AT LEAST two pieces of work before the presentation and two before the written end-of-trimester assessment. Formative online quizzes will be graded automatically. Students are encouraged to complete practice tasks for the summative assessment and will be given individual feedback. Taking an online Einstufungstest will help to get back into the swing of things after the summer and assess one's level. Formative assessment.
|Ms Zeineb Bahri||Lecturer / Co-Lecturer|
|Dr Siobhan Donovan||Lecturer / Co-Lecturer|
|Dr Helga Muellneritsch||Lecturer / Co-Lecturer|
|Assoc Professor Gillian Pye||Lecturer / Co-Lecturer|
|Small Group||Offering 1||Week(s) - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, 11, 12||Mon 10:00 - 10:50|
|Small Group||Offering 1||Week(s) - Autumn: Weeks 7-12||Mon 10:00 - 10:50|
|Small Group||Offering 1||Week(s) - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, 12||Wed 10:00 - 10:50|
|Small Group||Offering 1||Week(s) - 10, 11||Wed 10:00 - 10:50|
|Small Group||Offering 1||Week(s) - 11||Wed 10:00 - 10:50|
|Small Group||Offering 1||Week(s) - 7, 8, 9, 12||Wed 10:00 - 10:50|