Show/hide contentOpenClose All
Curricular information is subject to change
By the end of this module, students should have:
1. An ability to clearly articulate the spatialities of power and inequalities in their chosen area, demonstrating in-depth understanding theoretical and/or empirically
2. An understandings of the breath of critical geographies and its import.
3. Undertaken independent work to develop a topic area, source core readings, presentations skills and leading a discussion.
4. Created, developed and delivered an assignment that demonstrates an engagement with critical geographies and offers an in-depth exploration of the spatialisation of power and inequalities.
This module will begin with lecturers from the school of geography leading the discussions in their key areas, before opening out to student lead foci through assessed sessions.
Areas that can be covered include:
Feminism and gender Geographies
Critical and radical Geopolitics
Postcolonial and decolonial Geographies
Critical race geographies
Autonomist and Marxist Geographies
Academic-activist scholarship, writing and outputs
|Student Effort Type||Hours|
|Specified Learning Activities||
|Autonomous Student Learning||
Not applicable to this module.
|Description||Timing||Component Scale||% of Final Grade|
|Assignment: Final assignment||Coursework (End of Trimester)||n/a||Graded||No||
|Continuous Assessment: Reading summaries and participation||Varies over the Trimester||n/a||Graded||No||
|Seminar: Design and delivery of a seminar presentation and leading the discussion in a key area of interest||Varies over the Trimester||n/a||Graded||No||
|Resit In||Terminal Exam|
• Feedback individually to students, post-assessment
Feedback will be given in written and oral formats. For seminar creation, feedback from class participation from peers and seminar leaders should be used. Feedback from seminars should build into final project report.
|Professor Kath Browne||Lecturer / Co-Lecturer|
|Professor Alun Jones||Lecturer / Co-Lecturer|
|Dr Carla Kayanan||Lecturer / Co-Lecturer|
|Dr Julien Mercille||Lecturer / Co-Lecturer|