Show/hide contentOpenClose All
Curricular information is subject to change
On successful completion of this module, students will have:
- Theoretical and practical knowledge of GIS applications, spatial data sources and data management issues;
- Working competence of ArcGIS desktop software;
- Spatial awareness for data interpretation; and
- Ability to demonstrate the application of GIS tools to environmental assessment and sustainable planning.
- GIS software (commercial and open-source resources);
- Environmental spatial data (international and national data providers and online data sources);
- Spatial data management issues (e.g. spatial coverage, quality, scale, metadata);
- GIS applications (examples of GIS use in environmental assessment and sustainable planning); and
- Practical application of ArcGIS software (ArcMap, ArcCatalog and ArcToolBox).
The practical application sessions cover:
- ArcGIS interfaces; Adding data; Layer properties; Projections and transformations; Creating and editing shapefiles and geodatabases.
- Attribute tables - Creating and managing fields; Geometry calculations; Symbology; Transparency.
- Spatial analysis with ArcToolbox: Merge, buffer, clip, erase, intersect, spatial join.
- Map layouts: Components; Exporting images.
- Basic raster data processing - e.g. slope, aspect, raster reclassification, multi-criteria analysis.
|Student Effort Type||Hours|
|Autonomous Student Learning||
Students should have moderate to strong computer skills, including software installation knowledge in order to facilitate ArcGIS installation in personal PCs/laptops, and an understanding of maps.
|Description||Timing||Component Scale||% of Final Grade|
|Project: Environmental assessment project||Week 11||n/a||Graded||No||
|Assignment: GIS applications and technical considerations||Week 6||n/a||Graded||No||
|Class Test: GIS test||Week 12||n/a||Graded||No||
|Resit In||Terminal Exam|
|Autumn||Yes - 2 Hour|
• Feedback individually to students, on an activity or draft prior to summative assessment
• Feedback individually to students, post-assessment
Individual feedback will be provided via Brightspace post-assessment of each assigment.
|Assoc Professor Ainhoa Gonzalez Del Campo||Lecturer / Co-Lecturer|