Show/hide contentOpenClose All
Curricular information is subject to change
On successful completion of the module the student will have:
- Theoretical and practical knowledge of GIS applications, spatial data sources and data management issues;
- Working competence of the ArcGIS software package;
- Ability to demonstrate the application of GIS tools to support environmental and socio-economic assessments;
- Spatial awareness for data intepretation; and
- An understanding of the relationship between spatial analysis and report writing.
ArcGIS interfaces; Adding data; Layer properties; Projections and transformations; Creating and editing shapefiles.
Attribute tables - Creating and managing fields; Geometry calculations; Symbology; Transparency.
Geodatabases. Data types and organising data; Relationships between objects.
GPS and Mobile Apps.
Accessing online data.
Spatial analysis with ArcToolbox: Merge, buffer, clip, erase, intersect, spatial join.
Map layouts: Components; Exporting images.
Working with raster datasets: Spatial analyst tools.
|Student Effort Type||Hours|
|Specified Learning Activities||
|Autonomous Student Learning||
None requiredLearning Recommendations:
Basic file management
|Description||Timing||Component Scale||% of Final Grade|
|Assignment: Critical review of GIS applications||Week 4||n/a||Graded||No||
|Project: A spatial analysis on a topic of choice||Coursework (End of Trimester)||n/a||Graded||No||
|Studio Examination: GIS test||Week 12||n/a||Graded||No||
|Resit In||Terminal Exam|
• Feedback individually to students, post-assessment
• Group/class feedback, post-assessment
• Peer review activities
Individual feedback will be provided via Brightspace post-assessment. This will be complemented with in-class feedback. The project assignment will be submitted in printed form and peer-review feedback will be requested in class post-completion.
|Assoc Professor Ainhoa Gonzalez Del Campo||Lecturer / Co-Lecturer|
|Assoc Professor Gerald Mills||Lecturer / Co-Lecturer|
|Dr Tobi Morakinyo||Lecturer / Co-Lecturer|
|Dr Tine Ningal||Lecturer / Co-Lecturer|
|Mr David O'Mahony||Tutor|
|Lecture||Offering 1||Week(s) - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, 11, 12||Mon 14:00 - 15:50|
|Lecture||Offering 1||Week(s) - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, 11||Wed 15:00 - 16:50|
|Lecture||Offering 1||Week(s) - 12||Wed 15:00 - 16:50|
|Lecture||Offering 1||Week(s) - 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, 11||Wed 15:00 - 16:50|