Show/hide contentOpenClose All
Curricular information is subject to change
On successful completion of the module the student will have:
- Theoretical and practical knowledge of GIS applications, spatial data sources and data management issues;
- Working competence of the ArcGIS software package;
- Ability to demonstrate the application of GIS tools to environmental assessment and sustainable planning;
- Spatial awareness for data intepretation; and
- An understanding of the relationship between spatial analysis and report writing.
ArcGIS interfaces; Adding data; Layer properties; Projections and transformations; Creating and editing shapefiles.
Attribute tables - Creating and managing fields; Geometry calculations; Symbology; Transparency.
Geodatabases. Data types and organising data; Relationships between objects.
GPS and Mobile Apps.
Accessing online data.
Spatial analysis with ArcToolbox: Merge, buffer, clip, erase, intersect, spatial join.
Map layouts: Components; Exporting images.
Working with raster datasets: Spatial analyst tools.
|Student Effort Type||Hours|
|Autonomous Student Learning||
|Computer Aided Lab||
Basic file management knowledge
|Description||Timing||Component Scale||% of Final Grade|
|Assignment: Critical review of GIS paper||Week 3||n/a||Graded||No||
|Class Test: Lab-based practical test||Week 12||n/a||Graded||No||
|Assignment: Application of GIS to environmental impact assessment||Unspecified||n/a||Graded||No||
|Resit In||Terminal Exam|
• Feedback individually to students, post-assessment
• Group/class feedback, post-assessment
Individual feedback will be provided via Brightspace post-assessment. This will be complemented with in-class feedback.
|Assoc Professor Ainhoa Gonzalez Del Campo||Lecturer / Co-Lecturer|
|Assoc Professor Gerald Mills||Lecturer / Co-Lecturer|
|Dr Tine Ningal||Lecturer / Co-Lecturer|
|Mr David O'Mahony||Tutor|
|Lecture||Offering 1||Week(s) - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, 11, 12||Mon 14:00 - 15:50|
|Lecture||Offering 1||Week(s) - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, 11||Wed 15:00 - 16:50|
|Lecture||Offering 1||Week(s) - 12||Wed 15:00 - 16:50|
|Lecture||Offering 1||Week(s) - 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, 11||Wed 15:00 - 16:50|