Show/hide contentOpenClose All
Curricular information is subject to change
Our learning outcomes are broken into 2 categories. First the practical:
• Students will be able to define wellness and happiness media and situate them in historical context.
• They will use research and critical media analysis to produce original analyses of media products in their economic, cultural, and historical contexts
• Students will critically engage with the process of writing or creating through the process of proposal, drafting, and feedback
In addition to those concrete learning outcomes, below is a list of questions students should consider and engage with throughout the semester. You don’t need to have a definitive single answer to these questions, but by the end of term, you should be able to confidently have a discussion with your instructor or classmates in response to these questions, and to use evidence (that is, detailed examples from the real world plus references to scholarly articles either posted in Brightspace or found via your own research) to support your claims.
• Why is there a whole class about wellness media?
• How do wellness media and wellness products function during a pandemic?
• What is the relationship between wellness and race? Gender? Class?
• What is the relationship between wellness media and health?
• What is the relationship between wellness and happiness? Other emotions?
• Can/how can wellness, health, and capitalism happily coexist?
• What is your relationship to wellness media and wellness products?
|Student Effort Type||Hours|
|Specified Learning Activities||
|Autonomous Student Learning||
|Seminar (or Webinar)||
Not applicable to this module.
|Description||Timing||Component Scale||% of Final Grade|
|Continuous Assessment: Feedback and Response
Students will submit a brief written reflection on their proposal feedback, including any clarifying questions.
|Throughout the Trimester||n/a||Graded||No||
|Project: End of semester research project may be a written essay or a creative project. It will be based on the proposal, outline, and feedback earlier in the term.||Coursework (End of Trimester)||n/a||Graded||No||
|Assignment: An aesthetic analysis of 5 wellness brands or products.||Throughout the Trimester||n/a||Graded||No||
|Continuous Assessment: Final Project Proposal||Throughout the Trimester||n/a||Graded||No||
|Resit In||Terminal Exam|
• Feedback individually to students, on an activity or draft prior to summative assessment
• Feedback individually to students, post-assessment
• Group/class feedback, post-assessment
Not yet recorded.