Show/hide contentOpenClose All
Curricular information is subject to change
On completion of this module students should be able to:
1. Identify a number of tree species, including those used in Irish forestry, based on their winter and summer characteristics.
2. Demonstrate an appreciation and understanding of the history of forestry, forest harvesting, tree growth and forest's role in carbon sequestration.
3. Understand the basic concepts of timber measurement and carry out a practical assessment of tree dimensions and timber measurement.
4. Summarise the key ecological and silvicultural features of the main forest types found around the world.
Forest sites & urban forestry
Species site requirements -broadleaves
Species site requirements -conifers
Dendrology -tree identification
History of forestry
Forests of the world
Novel technology in forestry
Tree measurement & forest inventory
Forests and carbon
Timber production and harvesting
|Student Effort Type||Hours|
|Specified Learning Activities||
|Autonomous Student Learning||
Not applicable to this module.
|Description||Timing||Component Scale||% of Final Grade|
|Continuous Assessment: 4. Final Exam (online)||Week 12||n/a||Graded||No||
|Continuous Assessment: 5. Practical dendrology and mensuration examination (online)||Week 12||n/a||Graded||No||
|Continuous Assessment: 3. Tree project -group project||Week 9||n/a||Graded||No||
|Continuous Assessment: 1. Tree report||Week 4||n/a||Graded||No||
|Continuous Assessment: 2. Dendrology practical - tree identification, terminology||Week 5||n/a||Graded||No||
|Resit In||Terminal Exam|
|Spring||Yes - 2 Hour|
• Feedback individually to students, post-assessment
• Group/class feedback, post-assessment
The feedback strategy in this module uses a number of approaches, providing both individual and group feedback. There are a series of lab-based sessions on practical tree identification and students generally work on these dendrology practicals in groups. The module coordinator and demonstrators move from group to group to make sure every student is afforded face-to-face interaction during the practicals. Post assignment, interim/draft results and feedback are posted through Brightspace using a rubric approach. Personalised feedback comments are also provided alongside project results.
|Tutorial||Offering 1||Week(s) - 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12||Tues 14:00 - 15:50|
|Lecture||Offering 1||Week(s) - 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12||Wed 12:00 - 12:50|