Show/hide contentOpenClose All
Curricular information is subject to change
Successful completion of this module will enable the student to:
1. Define professional ethics and have a thorough understanding of CORU’s Code of Professional Conduct and Ethics for Radiographers.
2. Explain ethical & legal issues and the professional responsibilities as defined by the Health & Social Care Professionals Council (CORU).
3. Demonstrate an understanding of the Irish Legal system and describe the obligations of the radiographer and hospital within this framework.
4. Define and differentiate appropriate legal terms.
5. Define the concept of consent and its implications to examinations in the Imaging Department.
Ethical issues and the Law; Human experimentation and International Declarations. Introduction to Irish Legal system.
CORU; Registration Boards & their functions; CPD; Fitness to Practice; Health and Social Care Professionals Act, 2005.
Professional Negligence: Application to professional practice and lessons from case law.
The concept of consent in practice.
Medical records; Privacy and confidentiality and the purpose and function of medico-legal reports.
|Student Effort Type||Hours|
|Specified Learning Activities||
|Autonomous Student Learning||
Not applicable to this module.
|Description||Timing||Component Scale||% of Final Grade|
|Group Project: Professionalism / regulatory / medico-legal project relating to the practice of Radiography.||Throughout the Trimester||n/a||Graded||No||
|Multiple Choice Questionnaire: 15 question single best answer MCQ. Open book exam.||Unspecified||n/a||Graded||No||
|Resit In||Terminal Exam|
|Spring||Yes - 1 Hour|
• Online automated feedback
At the end of the module, students will be provided with online feedback in relation to the general class performance via targeted communication. Students can attend for individual feedback if they wish. Students will also be provided with a feed-forward grading rubric for their group work, indicating what grade each achievement will merit.