Show/hide contentOpenClose All
Curricular information is subject to change
On completion of this module students should be able to: Explain the functions of selected ingredients in food products; Evaluate the impact of processing and end product environment on the functionality of selected ingredients; Formulate end products using selected ingredients. Discuss the challenges associated with the development of food ingredients and foods with health benefits.
This module will contribute to the following competencies that are core to your development as a professional in Food Science:
• Chemistry of changes occurring during processing, storage and utilization
• Methods and techniques of qualitative and quantitative physical and chemical analyses of food and food ingredients.
• Integration and application of food science principles (food chemistry, microbiology, engineering/processing, nutrition)
• Computer skills
• Quality assurance
• Current issues in food science
• Food regulations
• Communication skills (i.e., oral and written communication)
• Critical thinking/problem solving skills (i.e., creativity, common sense, resourcefulness, scientific reasoning, analytical thinking)
• Interaction skills (i.e., teamwork, mentoring, leadership, networking, interpersonal skills)
• Information acquisition skills (i.e.electronic searches, databases, Internet, etc.)
• Organizational skills (i.e., time management, project management)
The lecture topics include Introduction to food ingredients; Ingredient functionality; Dairy ingredients; Low/reduced calorie ingredients; and Functional food ingredients.
|Student Effort Type||Hours|
|Specified Learning Activities||
|Autonomous Student Learning||
Students require a good knowledge of food chemistry (including laboratory experience), food process technology and sensory analysis.
|Description||Timing||Component Scale||% of Final Grade|
|Examination: 2hour written paper||2 hour End of Trimester Exam||No||Graded||No||
|Group Project: Group Project 1||Throughout the Trimester||n/a||Graded||No||
|Multiple Choice Questionnaire: Mid Semester MCQ||Week 6||n/a||Graded||No||
|Group Project: Group Project 2||Coursework (End of Trimester)||n/a||Graded||No||
|Remediation Type||Remediation Timing|
|In-Module Resit||Prior to relevant Programme Exam Board|
• Feedback individually to students, post-assessment
• Group/class feedback, post-assessment
After each assessment, feedback on the performance of the students will be given. The feedback will be used by the students for their continuous improvement and mastery of the module.
|Dr Emma Feeney||Tutor|
|Dr Rufielyn Gravador||Tutor|
|Ms Lauren Mc Guinness||Tutor|
|Lecture||Offering 1||Week(s) - 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32||Mon 11:00 - 12:50|
|Practical||Offering 1||Week(s) - 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32||Thurs 14:00 - 15:50|
|Lecture||Offering 1||Week(s) - 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32||Wed 10:00 - 10:50|