Show/hide contentOpenClose All
Curricular information is subject to change
By the end of the module, students should be able to:
- Identify the key theoretical debates and issues as addressed in readings, lectures and workshops.
- Analyse the potential uses and applications of particular theoretical approaches to language, culture, and literature.
- Begin to formulate a sense of their own theoretical assumptions and predilections with regard to issues in the humanities, in culture and in society more broadly.
- Engage in informed class discussion about the theoretical concepts and issues introduced in the module.
- Analyse and compare theoretical texts and approaches, identify particular theoretical approaches and concepts in literary and cultural criticism and commentary, and use this theoretical toolbox to enlarge and enrich their understanding and analysis of literary and cultural texts.
|Student Effort Type||Hours|
|Specified Learning Activities||
|Autonomous Student Learning||
Not applicable to this module.
|Description||Timing||Component Scale||% of Final Grade|
|Assignment: Take-home Essay-Exam with choice of set questions.||Coursework (End of Trimester)||n/a||Graded||No||
|Continuous Assessment: Worksheet 2 - short writing exercises||Week 8||n/a||Graded||No||
|Continuous Assessment: Worksheet 1 - short writing exercises||Week 4||n/a||Graded||No||
|Continuous Assessment: A creative reflection on your learning on the module.||Week 10||n/a||Pass/Fail Grade Scale||No||
|Resit In||Terminal Exam|
• Feedback individually to students, post-assessment
• Group/class feedback, post-assessment
• Self-assessment activities
Small group tutors mark the two worksheets, moderated by the module convenor, and offer individual written feedback to students. Small group tutors offer individual written feedback to students on creative reflection task. Small group tutors offer group advisory session to students prior to the final assignment. The module coordinator is available for individual feedback after the final assignment.
|Dr Hannah Boast||Lecturer / Co-Lecturer|
|Assoc Professor Sharae Deckard||Lecturer / Co-Lecturer|
|Dr Katherine Fama||Lecturer / Co-Lecturer|
|Professor Anne Fogarty||Lecturer / Co-Lecturer|
|Assoc Professor Clare Hayes-Brady||Lecturer / Co-Lecturer|
|Assoc Professor Anne Mulhall||Lecturer / Co-Lecturer|
|Dr Cormac O'Brien||Lecturer / Co-Lecturer|
|Dr Maria Stuart||Lecturer / Co-Lecturer|
|Mr JACOB Miller||Tutor|
|Ms Louise Walsh||Tutor|
|Lecture||Offering 1||Week(s) - 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11||Tues 11:00 - 11:50|
|Lecture||Offering 1||Week(s) - Autumn: All Weeks||Tues 13:00 - 13:50|
|Workshop||Offering 1||Week(s) - Autumn: All Weeks||Wed 09:00 - 09:50|
|Workshop||Offering 2||Week(s) - Autumn: All Weeks||Wed 10:00 - 10:50|
|Workshop||Offering 3||Week(s) - Autumn: All Weeks||Wed 11:00 - 11:50|
|Workshop||Offering 4||Week(s) - Autumn: All Weeks||Wed 12:00 - 12:50|
|Workshop||Offering 5||Week(s) - Autumn: All Weeks||Wed 13:00 - 13:50|
|Workshop||Offering 6||Week(s) - Autumn: All Weeks||Wed 10:00 - 10:50|
|Workshop||Offering 7||Week(s) - Autumn: All Weeks||Wed 11:00 - 11:50|
|Workshop||Offering 8||Week(s) - Autumn: All Weeks||Wed 12:00 - 12:50|
|Workshop||Offering 9||Week(s) - Autumn: All Weeks||Wed 13:00 - 13:50|
|Workshop||Offering 10||Week(s) - Autumn: All Weeks||Thurs 10:00 - 10:50|
|Workshop||Offering 11||Week(s) - Autumn: All Weeks||Thurs 12:00 - 12:50|
|Workshop||Offering 12||Week(s) - Autumn: All Weeks||Thurs 13:00 - 13:50|