Show/hide contentOpenClose All
Curricular information is subject to change
On completion of this module, students should be able to:
1. analyse a given radio-based system or sub-system, solve related problems and perform the necessary calculations;
2. discuss the issues involved in the design of such systems and sub-systems;
3. design a system or sub-system to solve a given problem and compare alternative design solutions;
4. conduct experimental work safely and effectively;
5. communicate the results of their work.
- review of propagation of radio waves;
- antenna theory and practical antennas;
- link budget calculations;
- radio transmitter architectures;
- frequency shifting;
- non-linear amplifiers and their effects;
- oscillators and frequency synthesis;
- noise in radio receivers;
- radio receiver architectures;
- transceiver design issues;
- system-level design issues;
- simulation of wireless systems;
- examples of wireless communication systems.
|Student Effort Type||Hours|
|Specified Learning Activities||
|Autonomous Student Learning||
Good understanding of electromagnetic waves, to the level of EEEN30030 Electromagnetic Waves.
Reasonable knowledge of circuit theory and analogue electronic circuits.
Some knowledge of communication theory, modulation and signal processing.
|Description||Timing||Component Scale||% of Final Grade|
|Continuous Assessment: Practical work, assessed on brief reports||Throughout the Trimester||n/a||Graded||No||
|Continuous Assessment: Online quizzes during the trimester||Throughout the Trimester||n/a||Standard conversion grade scale 40%||No||
|Examination: Written examination, open book||2 hour End of Trimester Exam||Yes||Standard conversion grade scale 40%||No||
|Resit In||Terminal Exam|
• Feedback individually to students, post-assessment
• Online automated feedback
Written feedback will be provided on reports submitted on laboratory work. Automated feedback will be provided for the online quizzes. For the terminal examination, students can request to view their script.
|Dr Barry Cardiff||Lecturer / Co-Lecturer|
|Mr Brian Mulkeen||Lecturer / Co-Lecturer|
|Lecture||Offering 1||Week(s) - Autumn: All Weeks||Thurs 09:00 - 09:50|
|Lecture||Offering 1||Week(s) - Autumn: All Weeks||Tues 09:00 - 09:50|
|Lecture||Offering 1||Week(s) - Autumn: All Weeks||Wed 14:00 - 14:50|
|Laboratory||Offering 1||Week(s) - 3, 5, 7, 9, 11||Fri 15:00 - 16:50|
|Laboratory||Offering 2||Week(s) - 2, 4, 6, 8, 10||Fri 15:00 - 16:50|
|Laboratory||Offering 3||Week(s) - 3, 5, 7, 9, 11||Thurs 16:00 - 17:50|
|Laboratory||Offering 4||Week(s) - 2, 4, 6, 8, 10||Thurs 16:00 - 17:50|