Show/hide contentOpenClose All
Curricular information is subject to change
On completion of this module, participants will be enabled to:
• Be more articulate about the nature of leadership and recognise the distinct contribution that middle leadership has potential to make within organisations and communities
• Be more reflective about their own leadership in context, thus more reflective about their own actions but more critical of cultural milieu
• Identify descriptively critical incidents in their leadership actions as a first step in a more systematic, analytical approach towards building leadership capacities
• Generate priorities for, elicit, be receptive to and provide peer feedback, thus becoming more keenly aware of and committed to learning communities and professional collaboration founded in thoughtful engagement with appropriate research evidence
• Undertake systematic critique of their middle leadership experiences in context, and through the combined lens of deliberative leadership and selective aspect of other leadership literature, identify actions likely to enhance their leadership influence as well as contribute to transformation of the leadership culture within the school.
• Integrate both pedagogical and middle leadership in making a contribution to the quality of teaching, learning and leading within and beyond the classroom
• Be more articulate about educational leadership, and identify ways in which their own experiences and insights, as well as those of their peers, as well refining existing literature while making modest contributions to it.
Middle leadership; organisational change and transformation; leadership development
|Student Effort Type||Hours|
|Seminar (or Webinar)||
|Specified Learning Activities||
|Autonomous Student Learning||
Not applicable to this module.
|Description||Timing||Component Scale||% of Final Grade|
|Portfolio: Generation of 3-4 critical incidents and provision of quality feedback on a peer's set of middle leadership critical incidents.||Unspecified||n/a||Graded||Yes||
|Project: 'Strategic Middle Leadership Transformation Project': comprises of a meta-analysis of critical incidents, analysis of peer feedback, as well as critique through a deliberative leadership lens.||Week 12||n/a||Graded||Yes||
|Remediation Type||Remediation Timing|
|In-Module Resit||Prior to relevant Programme Exam Board|
• Feedback individually to students, post-assessment
• Peer review activities
Not yet recorded.
|Mr Enda Hickey||Lecturer / Co-Lecturer|
|Mr Gavin Murphy||Lecturer / Co-Lecturer|
|Professor Ciaran Sugrue||Lecturer / Co-Lecturer|