Show/hide contentOpenClose All
Curricular information is subject to change
On completion of this module, students will be enabled to:
• Demonstrate a sound knowledge of the mathematics curriculum for Junior Cycle and demonstrate an ability to communicate this knowledge in an accessible, engaging, and informative way.
• Design lesson and unit plans that reflect a variety of teaching methodologies and assessment strategies that are aligned with curriculum content.
• Be familiar with literature on mathematics education research and reflect on their own pedagogical practices relative to the literature.
• Reflect on learners who have additional needs in the classroom and develop appropriate strategies in mathematics to facilitate their learning.
• Critically reflect on their own teaching and learning as pre-service teachers of mathematics
• Critically reflect on the development of their Mathematical Knowledge for Teaching (Ball et al. 2008) as a result of the first trimester of their continuous school placement.
• Critically reflect on their identity as a post-primary mathematics teacher.
Pedagogy and assessment for teaching Junior Cert and Leaving Cert Maths
|Student Effort Type||Hours|
|Specified Learning Activities||
Not applicable to this module.
|Description||Timing||Component Scale||% of Final Grade|
|Essay: Reflective essay on the development of Mathematical Knowledge for Teaching over the duration of the year.||Coursework (End of Trimester)||n/a||Graded||No||
|Project: Lesson plan and reflection||Coursework (End of Trimester)||n/a||Graded||No||
|Journal: Weekly reflections||Throughout the Trimester||n/a||Graded||No||
|Remediation Type||Remediation Timing|
|In-Module Resit||Prior to relevant Programme Exam Board|
• Feedback individually to students, on an activity or draft prior to summative assessment
• Feedback individually to students, post-assessment
• Self-assessment activities
Reflective modes Rubric informed
|Dr Brian Carroll||Lecturer / Co-Lecturer|
|Dr Mary Cunneen||Lecturer / Co-Lecturer|
|Mr Quentin Heaney||Lecturer / Co-Lecturer|
|Miss Annie Patton||Lecturer / Co-Lecturer|
|Ms Irene Stone||Lecturer / Co-Lecturer|