Show/hide contentOpenClose All
Curricular information is subject to change
Upon completion of this course, students should be able to:
1. Interpret the origin and nature of the tools and concepts of concrete design such as interaction diagrams and plastic moment redistribution
2. Design reinforced and prestressed concrete beams, columns, frames and slabs
3. Design masonry structural elements
4. Understand the principles of timber design that underpin the sizing of both vertical and horizontal elements.
5. Carry out structural detailed design for elements of the structure
Reinforced Concrete Design: Reinforced concrete columns: Slenderness, Interaction Diagrams, Biaxial Bending.
Prestressed Concrete Design: Minimum section modulus, Magnel diagram, Profile design/debonding, Losses in pre-tensioned & post-tensioned prestressed concrete, Shear forces and Ultimate Limit State design.
Masonry Design: Introduction, Bending element design, Columns/Walls, Design of masonry panel walls for wind loading.
Timber Design: Design of vertical and horizontal elements using timber.
|Student Effort Type||Hours|
|Autonomous Student Learning||
Not applicable to this module.
|Description||Timing||Component Scale||% of Final Grade|
|Continuous Assessment: Tutorials, In-class tests, Assignments||Throughout the Trimester||n/a||Not yet recorded||No||
|Examination: End-of-trimester exam||2 hour End of Trimester Exam||No||Not yet recorded||No||
|Resit In||Terminal Exam|
|Spring||Yes - 2 Hour|
• Group/class feedback, post-assessment
|Lecture||Offering 1||Week(s) - Autumn: All Weeks||Thurs 15:00 - 15:50|
|Lecture||Offering 1||Week(s) - 1, 3||Tues 15:00 - 15:50|
|Lecture||Offering 1||Week(s) - 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12||Tues 15:00 - 15:50|
|Lecture||Offering 1||Week(s) - Autumn: All Weeks||Wed 13:00 - 13:50|