Show/hide contentOpenClose All
Curricular information is subject to change
On completion of the module students will have the ability to:
1. Understand research methods and specifically how these can be applied to lead to new insights.
2. Design an experiment, system or process to provide a solution to a specific problem.
3. Draw up and execute a research plan.
4. Extract and evaluate information relating to a new area of research.
5. Analyse, interpret and present results of research.
6. Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
|Student Effort Type||Hours|
|Specified Learning Activities||
|Seminar (or Webinar)||
Not applicable to this module.
|Description||Timing||Component Scale||% of Final Grade|
|Project: Final report and presentation at end of Semester 2||Coursework (End of Trimester)||n/a||Graded||No||
|Assignment: Research plan in Autumn Trimester and Literature Review in Spring Trimester||Varies over the Trimester||n/a||Graded||No||
|Remediation Type||Remediation Timing|
|Repeat||Within Two Trimesters|
• Feedback individually to students, on an activity or draft prior to summative assessment
• Feedback individually to students, post-assessment
• Peer review activities
Module includes summative and formative assessments. Summative assessment: 1. Students submit a project plan - it is assessed and following feedback is revised and subsequently a programme of work agreed with project Advisor (mark ex 5) 2. Students submit a literature review - it is assessed (mark ex 10) and feedback is provided. Revised literature review to be included eventually in Final Report. Items 1-2 will combine to a mark ex 15 3. Project presentation (mark ex 5) 4. Final Report & Viva - assessed by Advisor and 2nd Examiner. Letter grade assigned & converted to equivalent mark for combination with items 1-3 above to give a mark ex 100 which is ultimately converted to a module grade. Formative assessment 1. All students will have an Advisor assigned to them for their project. The advisor and student will meet regularly to discuss progress and findings - feedback and direction will be provided by the Advisor. It is the students' responsibility to engage with their Advisor 2. Students will submit a thesis plan / structure - feedback will be provided by the Advisor