Show/hide contentOpenClose All
Curricular information is subject to change
(1) Students will understand what are possible causes of car dependency in the developed world and will be able to discuss and look at how policy might be used to reduce car dependency.
(2) Students will have an overview of historical and exisitng transport policy in Ireland and will be able to describe how policy could/should evolve in the future to encourage more sustainable travel. Students will understand how to appraise policies.
(3) Students will be understand the relationships between flow, density and speed, and will be able to derive these relationships.
(4) Students will engage in case studies which means that they will need to learn how to work in teams, to manage group work and to engage in independent study.
(5) Students will understand the basic concepts of transport modelling and will be able to describe the 4-stage model and its components.
(5) Students will develop their critical thinking skills in these case studies as they will be required to present arguments, debates, critiques on various aspects of transport policy. They will be expected to rise above simple descriptive narratives in their case studies to being able to critically engage with material and to be able to suggest innovative and new solutions to transport problems.
|Student Effort Type||Hours|
|Autonomous Student Learning||
Not applicable to this module.
|Description||Timing||Component Scale||% of Final Grade|
|Class Test: Class test||Week 10||n/a||Graded||Yes||
|Presentation: Transport Policy Debate||Week 6||n/a||Graded||No||
|Group Project: Group project (poster and presentation)||Coursework (End of Trimester)||n/a||Graded||Yes||
|Remediation Type||Remediation Timing|
|In-Module Resit||Prior to relevant Programme Exam Board|
• Group/class feedback, post-assessment
Students are provided with feedback on the group work: the case studies are conducted as a group and so the feedback is emailed to each group.
|Professor Aoife Ahern||Lecturer / Co-Lecturer|
|Dr Páraic Carroll||Lecturer / Co-Lecturer|
|Lecture||Offering 1||Week(s) - Autumn: All Weeks||Thurs 11:00 - 11:50|
|Lecture||Offering 1||Week(s) - 1, 2, 3||Wed 10:00 - 11:50|
|Lecture||Offering 1||Week(s) - 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12||Wed 10:00 - 11:50|