Show/hide contentOpenClose All
Curricular information is subject to change
On completion of this module the student should be able to:
- Discuss the factors to be considered in the conversion to organic production
- Describe and discuss the maintenance of soil fertility in an organic system.
- Describe and discuss the prevention and control of weeds, diseases and pests in an organic cropping system.
- Compare and contrast the principles of livestock production on an organic farm compared to a conventional farm.
- Discuss the principles of marketing of organic produce.
Main topics on the organic agriculture (OA) module are:
- Considerations to Conversion to OA.
- Nutrient Management in OA.
- Pest and Disease Management in OA.
- Weed Management in OA.
- Soil Cultivation
- Animal Husbandry in OA
|Student Effort Type||Hours|
|Specified Learning Activities||
|Autonomous Student Learning||
Not applicable to this module.
|Description||Timing||Component Scale||% of Final Grade|
|Assignment: Review of a peer-reviewed journal article related to organic agriculture||Week 6||n/a||Graded||No||
|Group Project: A group project in which a conventional farm is converted to an organic farm with an accompanied written and referenced report detailing what and why the changes / suggestions have been made.||Week 12||n/a||Graded||No||
|Examination: End of Semester exam consisting of an MCQ in conjunction with short answer questions||2 hour End of Trimester Exam||No||Graded||No||
|Resit In||Terminal Exam|
|Spring||Yes - 2 Hour|
• Feedback individually to students, post-assessment
Feedback is done individually post-assessment. Throughout the module many MCQ questions examples are discussed to highlight 1) the importance of reading the questions properly, 2) the main concepts of the lectures and 3) the role of continuing study and assessment.
|Dr Caroline Elliott-Kingston||Lecturer / Co-Lecturer|
|Assoc Professor Owen Doyle||Tutor|
|Dr Gary Gillespie||Tutor|
|Dr Mary Harty||Tutor|
|Dr Alan Kelly||Tutor|
|Professor Karina Pierce||Tutor|
|Dr Siobhán Walsh||Tutor|