Show/hide contentOpenClose All
Curricular information is subject to change
On completion of this module the student will have
- an understanding of the genetics associated with crop breeding.
- the role of recent biotechnology advances in crop productivity and crop yield will be understood.
- knowledge of the different organisms that are crop pathogens.
- an understanding of different cropping techniques on a European and world level
- the details of intensive high input-high output crop production practices.
- an understanding of the importance of key aspects of crop physiology
|Student Effort Type||Hours|
|Autonomous Student Learning||
Not applicable to this module.
|Description||Timing||Component Scale||% of Final Grade|
|Examination: Three questions with choices (a & b) will cover the lecture material.
The three topics cover crop physiology, agronomy and the genetic basis of breeding and pathogen resistance.
|2 hour End of Trimester Exam||No||Standard conversion grade scale 40%||Yes||
|Multiple Choice Questionnaire: 2 in-class tests will cover the topics in lectures.||Varies over the Trimester||n/a||Standard conversion grade scale 40%||No||
|Assignment: An assignment will be covered in class which introduces the concept of crop genomes.
A 20 question assigment will be handed in.
|Coursework (End of Trimester)||n/a||Standard conversion grade scale 40%||No||
|Resit In||Terminal Exam|
|Autumn||Yes - 2 Hour|
• Feedback individually to students, on an activity or draft prior to summative assessment
Draft hand in deadline will be given for the assignment where students will receive independent feedback via Brightspace which they can use to improve the assignment before the final submission. An in class session will also take place. There is the opportunity for student feedback in class. Two MCQs (one before the study break and one at the end of term) should indicate to students areas for improvement before the final written exam.
|Dr Angela Feechan||Lecturer / Co-Lecturer|
|Dr Tomás McCabe||Lecturer / Co-Lecturer|
|Mr Cathal McCabe||Lecturer / Co-Lecturer|
|Mr Conor O'Flaherty||Lecturer / Co-Lecturer|
|Ms Aisling Reilly||Lecturer / Co-Lecturer|
|Lecture||Offering 1||Week(s) - 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32||Thurs 14:00 - 14:50|
|Lecture||Offering 1||Week(s) - 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32||Tues 14:00 - 14:50|