Show/hide contentOpenClose All
Curricular information is subject to change
At the end of this module student will:
* Have an appreciation of the main issues and principles associated with distributed systems.
* Understand both theory and practice for a number of distributed programming models (Distributed Objects, Web Services, REST, Message-Oriented Middleware).
* Be aware of current trends in distributed system design (Reactive Systems, Microservices, ...)
* The ability to specify, design and implement a distributed system
* Be exposed to some of the theory behind distributed systems.
While completing the course, the students will learn about a number distributed programming models, such as: distributed objects, web services (SOAP / REST), message-oriented middleware, and actor programming. They will gain an appreciation of the issues that underpin the development of Distributed Systems (Fault Tolerance, CAP Theorem, Global Time), and understand the most prominent architectural styles (Client-Server, P2P, Monolithic Systems, Microservices). Students will also be exposed to additional programming models, distributed applications (e.g. distributed file systems), and advanced concepts (replication systems, fault tolerance) through peer learning.
|Student Effort Type||Hours|
|Specified Learning Activities||
|Autonomous Student Learning||
Not applicable to this module.
|Description||Timing||Component Scale||% of Final Grade|
|Group Project: Team-based project to develop larger distributed system.||Week 12||n/a||Graded||No||
|Continuous Assessment: 5 Assessed Laboratories: Distributed Objects, Web Services, REST, Message-Oriented Middleware, Actor Programming.||Throughout the Trimester||n/a||Graded||No||
|Assignment: Review of a Seminal Paper on a Distributed System topic||Week 8||n/a||Graded||No||
|Resit In||Terminal Exam|
• Feedback individually to students, post-assessment
Not yet recorded.
|Practical||Offering 1||Week(s) - 1, 3, 4, 5||Fri 09:00 - 10:50|
|Practical||Offering 1||Week(s) - 2, 6||Fri 09:00 - 10:50|
|Practical||Offering 1||Week(s) - Autumn: Weeks 7-12||Fri 09:00 - 10:50|
|Practical||Offering 1||Week(s) - 1||Mon 16:00 - 17:50|
|Practical||Offering 1||Week(s) - Autumn: Weeks 2-12||Mon 16:00 - 17:50|
|Lecture||Offering 1||Week(s) - Autumn: All Weeks||Wed 15:00 - 15:50|