Show/hide contentOpenClose All
Curricular information is subject to change
On completion of this module, students should be able to demonstrate achievement of learning outcomes under three headings:
1. General Learning
- Describe the business organisation in which they worked and the functions and responsibilities of that organisation.
- Critically reflect on their experiences during the placement.
- Explain, with evidence, the need for high ethical standards in the practice of engineering.
- Demonstrate an appreciation of - and an ability to comply with health and safety issues and responsibilities of engineering practice.
2. Technical Learning
- Demonstrate the ability to integrate classroom theory with workplace practice, through the application of academic learning in the workplace. This learning will be specific to the discipline and to the nature of the placement; specifics will be agreed between the Academic Supervisor and the Sponsor, over the course of the placement.
- Demonstrate an awareness of quality assurance issues, in the context of the work placement.
- Demonstrate an awareness of the importance of codes of practice and industry standards, relevant to the work placement.
3. Personal Learning
- Describe the role of the specific unit (department/section) in which they were located and the responsibilities of the key operatives in that unit.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the importance of workplace culture.
- Demonstrate development and application of interpersonal and self-management transferrable skills, such as: working independently in unfamiliar situations; effective time management; developing communication skills; working effectively as a team member and respecting the views of others in the team; accepting and responding to constructive criticism; accounting for their actions and decisions.
- Based on their contacts and experiences, be able to critically identify and develop potential sources of appropriate employment for their future careers.
|Student Effort Type
Not applicable to this module.
|Prior to relevant Programme Exam Board
• Feedback individually to students, on an activity or draft prior to summative assessment
• Feedback individually to students, post-assessment
Feed back about the appropriateness of the internship will be provided ahead of commencement and enrolment in the module. Feedback of internship report will be provided on an on-going basis and following submission.