Show/hide contentOpenClose All
Curricular information is subject to change
Knowledge and understanding of:
• the principles of organic chemical reactivity, its measurement and the mechanisms of biological reactions;
• the different types of pericylic reactions and the range of reactivity that can be measured by kinetic and other mechanistics investigation
• photochemistry including photocatalysis
• the different types of nitrogen functionality and how their structure leads to different types of chemistry including bonding concepts using the valence bond model and basicity;
• the formation of amines, imines and enamines; their various rearrangements and cycloaddition reactions and a review of amino protection;
• modern synthesis technologies such as microwave and flow chemistry, immobilised reagents, catalysts and scavengers.
• sustainable chemical processes that improve on current practices and the integration of flow chemistry for the synthesis of drug-like target structures.
|Student Effort Type||Hours|
|Autonomous Student Learning||
This module is intended for students in the final year of an Honours Chemistry degree program or post graduate students in a Chemical discipline. Other students wishing to take this module must have a comparable background in chemistry and must consult the School.
|Description||Timing||Component Scale||% of Final Grade|
|Continuous Assessment: various assessments over the semester||Varies over the Trimester||n/a||Standard conversion grade scale 40%||No||
|Examination: end of semester examination||2 hour End of Trimester Exam||No||Standard conversion grade scale 40%||No||
|Resit In||Terminal Exam|
|Spring||Yes - 2 Hour|
• Group/class feedback, post-assessment
Not yet recorded.
|Dr Marcus Baumann||Lecturer / Co-Lecturer|
|Assoc Professor Paul Evans||Lecturer / Co-Lecturer|
|Lecture||Offering 1||Week(s) - 5, 9||Mon 10:00 - 10:50|
|Lecture||Offering 1||Week(s) - 1, 2, 7||Mon 10:00 - 11:50|
|Lecture||Offering 1||Week(s) - 3, 6, 11||Mon 10:00 - 11:50|
|Lecture||Offering 1||Week(s) - 4||Mon 10:00 - 11:50|
|Lecture||Offering 1||Week(s) - 8, 10, 12||Mon 10:00 - 11:50|
|Lecture||Offering 1||Week(s) - 9||Mon 10:00 - 11:50|
|Lecture||Offering 1||Week(s) - 5||Mon 11:00 - 11:50|
|Lecture||Offering 1||Week(s) - 9||Mon 11:00 - 11:50|
|Lecture||Offering 1||Week(s) - Autumn: All Weeks||Thurs 12:00 - 12:50|
|Lecture||Offering 1||Week(s) - 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12||Thurs 14:00 - 14:50|