Show/hide contentOpenClose All
Curricular information is subject to change
On completion of this module students should be able to:
• Explain the main biochemical causes of disease,
• Through specific examples, explain the molecular basis of bacterial- and viral-mediated disease.
• Describe our current knowledge of various gastrointestinal and neurodegenerative diseases and of the more prevalent diabetes, cardiovascular disease and cancer.
• Having completed the course, the student should be able to explain the approaches that can be exploited for the treatment of that disease.
The main modes of indicative learning on this module will be:
A laboratory component involving 4 lab practicals and submission of written reports;
Practical Problem Solving;
|Student Effort Type||Hours|
|Specified Learning Activities||
|Autonomous Student Learning||
It is recommended that students taking this module will have successfully completed either BMOL20090, BMOL20110 and BIOC20060 or other modules with equivalent learning outcomes.
|Description||Timing||Component Scale||% of Final Grade|
|Examination: Written exam, duration 2 hr||2 hour End of Trimester Exam||No||Standard conversion grade scale 40%||No||
|Continuous Assessment: Practical write-ups/reports/MCQ||Varies over the Trimester||n/a||Standard conversion grade scale 40%||No||
|Resit In||Terminal Exam|
• Feedback individually to students, post-assessment
• Group/class feedback, post-assessment
Individual student feedback from initial lab reports will be delivered prior to submission of subsequent lab reports to help students achieve the intended learning outcomes. In addition, where common issues or mistakes arise, these will be shared anonymously with the group to promote group learning.
|Professor Orina Belton||Lecturer / Co-Lecturer|
|Dr Gary Brennan||Lecturer / Co-Lecturer|
|Dr Derek Costello||Lecturer / Co-Lecturer|
|Assoc Professor Siobhán McClean||Lecturer / Co-Lecturer|
|Dr Jennifer Mitchell||Lecturer / Co-Lecturer|
|Dr Seema Nathwani||Lecturer / Co-Lecturer|
|Dr Tadhg Ó'Cróinín||Lecturer / Co-Lecturer|
|Ms Mary O'Brien||Tutor|
|Dr Joan Simon||Tutor|
|Dr Heather Wood||Tutor|
|Lecture||Offering 1||Week(s) - 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 28, 30, 32||Mon 13:00 - 13:50|
|Lecture||Offering 1||Week(s) - 29||Mon 13:00 - 13:50|
|Lecture||Offering 1||Week(s) - 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32||Wed 13:00 - 13:50|
|Laboratory||Offering 1||Week(s) - 21, 23, 25, 29||Tues 10:00 - 12:50|
|Laboratory||Offering 2||Week(s) - 21, 23, 25, 29||Fri 10:00 - 12:50|